Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting to Korcula in a Car (Split vs Drvenik or Ploce)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be coming in June from Plitvice in a car and it seems like the logical thing to do would be to take the car ferry from Split to Vela Luka, but I'm wondering if it might be more enjoyable to drive down the coast and take either the Drevnik/Korcula ferry or the Ploce/Trpanj ferry.

When I check the ferry schedules it seems that there are more options from Drvenik or Ploce than there are from Split. Any thoughts on this from those more familiar?
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Only if you just don't want to drive so much. This will likely take longer though, as you will have to drive through Split, wait in line for the ferry, endure the ferry ride, and then drive across Korcula (about an hour).
http://www.jadrolinija.hr/default.aspx?dpid=1227
I like your second plan, to drive along the coast (it is supposed to be a great drive, I haven't done that section), but I would drive all the way to Ploce (check Ploce-Trpanj schedule), then cut across the peninsula to Orebic (the ferry to Domince is frequent, then you are practically at Korcula town).
I believe Drvenik ferries only go to Hvar.
My only caveat,you may hit some summer traffic.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:12 AM

The ferry from Drvenik to Korcula is less well known because it's one of the few which are not run by Jadrolinija. The operator is Mediteranska Plovidba (www.medplov.hr).
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM

We are faced with the same issue, but in the opposite direction. We've decided to drive the coast rather than take the direct ferry to Split. Thanks, Geoffhamer, for the info on the local ferry. Hopefully, taking the ferry to Ploce will save us some backtracking!

--Annie
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM

Oops, I often forget to mention that jadrolinija is not the only ferry operator. Thanks, GeoffHamer.