Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Prague: Where should I stay? Old Town, New Town or Lesser Town??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 05:44 AM
Danielle

I just made a reservation in Mala Strana at the The Lions House but I am hearing that the best place to stay is in Old Town. I heard most streets are closed to pedestrians and there are tons of good restaurants. I've been to Florence,Italy and that is what I loved about it. If anyone could give me information on the different sections of the city and some moderately priced hotel recommendations I'd really appreciate it.

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 06:02 AM
Helena

I'm not the best source for specific hotel info, but I can tell you that Mala Strana is still effectively part of Prague's "old town" district (in the classic sense of older streets, lots of cafes, etc...). I'd actually prefer staying in Mala Strana - you're on the castle side of the river, and in any case, it's all a short walk. Don't worry, you're still within the zone.

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 06:41 AM
Jill

We are leaving next month for a week in Prague and have hotel reservations in the Jewish Quarter. From what I have read in the guidebooks everything within the Jewish Quarter, Old Town and Mala Strana is within walking distance. You can e-mail me in late September and I'll tell you what I found out.

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 08:17 AM
Danielle

Thanks Helena for the information. I really looking forward to my trip and relieved that all the best is within walking distance - I love to walk! <BR> <BR>Jill, have a great time in Prague! Take good notes for me and I'll be in touch in late September - I'll be there the first week of November. Thanks. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 08:51 PM
Linda

We stayed at Penzion Balbin, near the Muzeum Metro & Wencelas Sq. It is 5-10 min. walk to just about anywhere you want to go. It is on top floor of apartment (elevator after 1st floor)& has locked door to street so safe. Clean, shower & toilet in room, helpful English-speaking staff & serve-yourself breakfast for $35/night for 2. It is hard to book, but we found it through AVE Accommodations at [email protected] They were very helpful. Have fun. Prague is beautiful & the Charles Bridge at night is great.

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 12:46 AM
Mark

Danielle, <BR> <BR>Mala Strana is the place to be. It's quieter than the Old Town and prettier. Have a great trip. <BR> <BR>Mark

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 08:49 AM
danielle

<BR>Thanks to all for the advice. We are going to take it and stay in Mala Strana.

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 11:02 AM
andrea Townsend

I agree with Helena, I think Mala Strana <BR>district is actually nicer than Old Town and as she said...it is only a 5 minute walk. Let me know how the Lions House is.. <BR>I've been to Prague twice...my first time I stayed in someone's house for 7$ a night, when I went back 2 years ago, I paid $150/night for a dump, the owner tried to rip me off, I got ripped off at restuarants(watch out for service charges that mysteriously appear)...my friend who lives in Prague was horrified, jopefully this has improved because there were a lot of complaints. <BR>I'll see how you like the Lions House and may check it out the next time I go. <BR>Prague is absoluely beautiful!!!! <BR>Have fun and buy some crystal...it's gorgeous there.

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 05:58 AM
Danielle

<BR>Andrea <BR>I have to correct myself. The name of the hotel/pension is called U Cerveneho Lva or The House At the Red Lion. I have found out a little more about the place since I originally started this message. It's has excellent write ups in many of the travel guides. It's a Baroque style pension near the castle with about eight rooms. We faxed them our room request and asked for an off season rate. We will be there early November and the regular rate listed in most guide books was around $200 per night but we didn't want to spend that. In fact we faxed or e-mailed several hotels in the same category and they were the only one who responded and actually extended the off season rate to us of $130 per night. I saw some pictures of the pension on the web and it looks very nice. I hope it's not to good to be true but I'll let you know.

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 06:12 AM
Mark

Danielle, <BR> <BR>I don't know the hotel you're talking about, but it sounds like a great location. If you want specific recommendations, feel free to post here or email me directly ... I'm a five year Prague resident. <BR> <BR>mark <BR>