Search

Dubrovnik

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dubrovnik

I am visiting Dubrovnik for four days in May. Will I enjoy warm weather and should I visit anywhere else or will Dubrovnik suffice for a calming break?
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dubrovnik is unlikely to be a calming break as these days it is often overrun with cruise ship passengers. Last time I visited (in 2011) I had to queue to get into the old town.

Go here to check cruise ship arrivals for your dates:

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/girica1.php

Go here to check historic weather statistics:

https://www.wunderground.com/
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 09:47 AM
mjs

I have visited Dubrovnik in May and the weather was quite pleasant but in no way would I consider it a calming break and I would not stay for four days.
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 09:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Two words: Buza Bar!

<B>http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/chapter-eleven-dubrovnik-the-buza-bar/</B>

Old Nov 18th, 2017, 09:53 AM
kja

I agree that it is not likely to be a calming break. Another site for weather:
timeanddate.com
Four days is a LOT for Dubrovnik.
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 10:47 AM

Maitaitom,

A few years ago, because of your mentioning it, I made it a point to go to Buza Bar and make a toast to you. There were only a few people there. I hope it is not overly crowded now.

Unfortunately, I was there only on a cruise day several years ago, so it was probably less crowded then. I wonder what evenings are like, if it is more mysterious and quiet at night? It looked like it would be nice to do a sailing trip in the area. Anyone else there at night or do anything on the water?
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 11:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Sassafrass...4 p.m. seemed to be a great time, right as all the cruise ship people departed Dubrovnik. Cheers!

Old Nov 18th, 2017, 11:02 AM
kja

When I was there in 2009, there was a line waiting for a seat (not a table -- any open seat was "fair game") at the Buza Bar. Worth waiting for IMO, but definitely a busy place!

I truly enjoyed Dubrovnik in the evening -- it is a beautiful place. I was there in shoulder season, and even after the cruise-ship people left town, there were still many people around (but not TOO many!) and the Old Town had a quiet liveliness about it.

There are things to do on the water, although the only thing I did was to take a ferry to Lokrum and back -- and Lokrum is a lovely little island, well worth exploring for a few hours IMO.
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 11:24 AM
kja

P.S. I reached the Buza Bar at about 7:30 p.m. on a weekday in late May.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had four days there in May a few years ago and found plenty to do. Mind you, we like sitting in cafes people-watching and did this a fair bit.

Weather was mild, not warm but not cold either, we wore long sleeved tshirts and a light jacket most days. It does get busy with the day trippers and is much quieter early and late in the day but it didn't bother us at all. We stayed right in the middle of the Old Town and loved it.

There is a little island you can visit by boat, we went for a half day and wandered about. It was quiet and not a lot there but still a nice diversion.

Kay
Old Nov 20th, 2017, 04:33 AM

We spent 5 days in Dubrovnik this summer and had a great time. Of course, our days were spent out on the water away from the Old Town. We spent a day on a speedboat visiting caves and swimming; a day kayaking; a day on a sailboat; a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia; and then two half days - afternoon we arrived - was swimming and taking the cable car to the restaurant above Dubrovnik, and the morning we left - visiting the War Photo Museum (small but powerful). Our days were relaxing - because we were on private boats and tours in the islands away from the crowds. We loved coming back at night at the stream of people are leaving.