Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin - Trying to choose a show to see...any advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Ireland at the end of September with my parents (70 yrs old) and am looking for some advice on a dinner show. My mother heard good reviews on the Jurys Inn Ballsbridge Cabaret, however, they are not offering a show on the night we will be in Dublin.

After looking through this site I have narrowed down my choices to Taylors Irish Night or Jurys Inn Burlington Cabaret (different from the Ballsbridge Cabaret). Has anyone seen either or both of these shows and can give any reviews for me? I would appreciate any help you can give.

Bridget
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Cannot comment on the Jur's Ballsbridge cabaret - but did have the misfortune to stay there once (we were doing a meeting there and I was trapped there for 5 days). The food was truly awful (the highloight: at one point they told me it was impossible to get fresh potatoes - since they were out of season - this was when every single meal - no matter what was listed on the menu - was accompanied by incredibly greasy pre-frozed and half-cooked french fries), the wait staff's attitude was even worse, if possible.

I would never voluntarily subject anyone to this place.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Probably not one to comment, but anyway...I've seen Jury's Cabaret here in the U.S. and it is what I'd call tourist-type Irish entertainment. That is what I've heard it is in Dublin, too, but then for many Americans that's OK...we all love "Danny Boy."

But for real Irish trad music send me to a pub anytime, and right there in Temple Bar area are excellent choices. As for REAL theatre entertainment in Dublin a recent Sept. we went to The Abbey and The Gate. All a matter of taste, isn't it?

BTW, I'm older than your folks.
Bill in Missouri [email protected]
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 12:59 AM

Ireland really isn't big into dinner shows. The only one I know of is the Jurys one. A more popular way to spend an evening would be to go for a meal and then on to the theatre. I can highly recommend a restaurant called Chapter One on Parnell Square. They do a very reasonable theatre menu. You can go to the restaurant and eat your first two courses (fantastic food), then go to a play at The Gate theatre which is close by, then go back to the restaurant for dessert and coffee.

Alternatively, you could try a restaurant like 101 Talbot and go to a play in the Abbey or the Peacock.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 01:07 AM

The above reccommendations are great but if you want the "Show and dinner" I think the best place is Johnny Fox's in Glencullen in the Dublin Mountains. Its not too far from the city and you can arrange a taxi to and from wwith a taxi company and set you times with them. There are 2 options here:

1. The show in the hooley room. Irish music and Irish Dancers. You sit at long tables with other guests and have dinner first and then the show. Its very lively and not too formal. The food is seafood (Smokes salmon) chicken and a veggies dish. its not bad for show food. Its also a set price and I would send you to this probably before the Jurys cabaret. Jurys is more a cheesy "oirish" show. Saying that so is Johnnie Foxesnuit its fun.

2. You ca go for dinner (lots of fresh seafood) and there is usually live music in the restaurant/bar but this is tamer.

I have never been to Taylors Rock but its a copy of Johnnie Foxes.