Search

Dublin restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin restaurants

Hi everyone

I'm heading down to Dubin for a weekend soon, and am trying to decide which restaurants to try!

We'll be eating out on Friday and Saturday night, and I'd like at least one of the restaurants to be somewhere we can walk to from the Merrion Hotel. Please feel free to recommend high end restaurants, and more casual places.

Places I have already been are:

Peploe's
Shanahans on The Green (my fav so far)
Unicorn
Clarence Tea Rooms
Rolys
Patirck Guilbbaud
Thorntons

I checked out Venu last time I was down, and thought the atmosphere was so cold and uninviting. Is it worth a try?

I'm also thinking of the restaurant upstairs in Fallon and Byrne, anyone tried it?

All suggestions welcome!

Also, has anyone stayed in the Shelbourne since it reopened? We usually stay in the Merrion and absolutely love it, but we're thinking of trying the Shelbourne for a change. We can't decide as we look forward to the Merrion SO much!

Angela
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

I was also thinking of La Stampa. I went here once many years ago, and still hear good reports about it.

And also, there is a French Restaurant just beside Peploe's that has always caught my eye. I think it is La Mere Zou? Has anyone tried here?

Thanks

Angela
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:33 AM

Hi Angela,

I do like Venu - I know what you mean about the atmosphere though but I do think the food is excellent (and they do great cocktails too).

Mint in Ranelagh might also be worth a try. While it's not within walking distance of the Merrion, you could walk to the Luas and hop on that out to Ranelagh. It's pricey but a great "foodie" experience. Apparently they've had a few visits recently from Michelin so a star may be in the offing.

L'Gueleton on Fade Street is excellent. There were interviews in one of the Sunday papers last week asking various chefs about their favourite restaurants in Dublin and quite a few of them mentioned it.

The Winding Stair, again it's a little further from the Merrion, but it's well worth a visit - excellent food!

Two that are on the top of my list to try are Locks and Balzac (in La Stampa).

I've been to Fallon and Byrne a couple of times - the time we went with a group a few of us were very happy but others were distinctly unimpressed - the standard between the dishes seems to vary a lot.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Sorry - didn't notice your question about La Mere Zou - yes, I've been a few times and it is good - although it's been a couple of years now since I was there. Also good just above it is Brownes. Oh, and another you could try is Trocadero - always jam packed so reserve early! You can take a look at menus and reviews on www.menupages.ie.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Cailin

Thank you so much for your very helpful reply.

My husband just phoned from work to say that he can get away early today, so we'll be heading down shortly - talk about last minute notice!!

I am trying to book Balzac for tonight, and tommorow night I plan on going to L'Gueuleton. I telephoned and they dont take bookings, so hopefully if we go along we'll get a seat no problem. I assume this is a taxi ride away, but I guess I can check with the hotel.

Thanks again

Angela
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Enjoy Angela - let us know how you get on! L'gueleton is walking distance from the Merrion (the other side of Grafton Street). It does get busy so get there early if you can. Also, if there's a queue they will take your phone number and call you when the table is ready. In the meantime you can have a drink in Hogans or The Market Bar while you wait! Have a great weekend.