Dublin City Marathon

Oct 29th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Edmond O`Flaherty

Dublin City Marathon

I was fascinated to find out that over 3,000 of the 8,000 participants in the Dublin City Marathon to-day came from the U.S.They are very welcome of course but it does seem a long way to go to run over 26 miles.The weather to-day was cool and sunny but some October days (and indeed any other day you choose)are quite wet in Dublin.Can anybody out there explain what motivates so many people to run so far in a foreign country.

Oct 29th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Holly

I am a native of the U.S. who has run many marathons, here in my hometown of Chicago, across the U.S. and abroad. There is much more to a marathon than the running itself. The course, the spectators, the other runners - all of which give you a great taste of the culture of the place where you happen to be running, as do all of We run into a lot more of the natives and interact with them than in the usual tourist venues - the expo, the pre and post race events/parties etc. I always spend some time in the place I'm running before and after the race as well on vacation.

What you witnessed in Dublin isn't unique, and a great example is taking place this weekend - 10,000 spots out of 30,000 at the New York Marathon are reserved for international runners. Traveling for marathons has become much more common (amongst those who run them). In answer to what motivates us to travel so far - getting there is the easiest part of all - it's the run itself that's the challenge.

Dec 28th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Lynn

Holly - what other international marathons have you run? My husband is thinking about running Reims this year (he'll do Boston in April, but is looking for a fall marathon and we're overdue for a trip abroad). Please share a few impressions, problems, etc. Thanks.

Dec 28th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Burta

I travelled with my sister to two marathons -- Paris and Vienna. The one here in Honolulu is relatively large with 20,000 participants, but she tells me that Paris was the best. It is held on the first Sunday in April and runs right through the city, past all the monuments and the Seine. There were people clapping and yelling encouragment all along the way as well as impromptu entertainment. The year she ran it, the weather was cold and a little wet(it even snowed the week after we left), but she enjoyed it immensely anyway.

She would like to run London, but that's a hard one to get into.

I think the joy of running a marathon in a city away from home is the thrill of seeing new things and meeting new people.

Jan 3rd, 2002, 01:07 PM

Jan 10th, 2002, 11:36 AM

Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:45 PM
Melissa

Traveling to another country to participate in a sports event is just the best! You get to see the city on foot and like Burta said, it's a great way to do/see new things and meet new people. It really is a great adventure. Why travel from the other end of the earth (Hawaii) if you can't have a big adventure, right?

I just finished the Prague Marathon, and I still have to say that the Paris Marathon was the best so far. Those French really know how to throw a party!

Jul 24th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Jen

My cousin has run a marathon on every continent--even Antartica.