Dublin. A novel Meet-and-Greet scheme.

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin. A novel Meet-and-Greet scheme.

Starting in June, it is hoped that a band of enthusiastic volunteers from the Dublin area will be available to meet any visitors to help them plan their stay in the city. The idea is to match the interests of the visitor with that of the local and they will meet in the city centre and adjourn for a complimentary cup of tea or a drink at one of three nearby hostelries - the Merrion Hotel, Bewleys Cafe or the Porterhouse Bar.

The scheme is at the planning stage at present but any Fodorites visiting Dublin this summer might like to check out the website : www.cityofathousandwelcomes.com
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 07:49 PM

This sounds really great! I will keep an eye on the website and see if it is up and running when we arrive in Dublin!
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 08:07 PM

We will be there in the middle of May. Darn it.

I have long been an admirer of Irish writers and have dragged Mrs. Adu to more Beckett plays than she dserves. In fact during my last trip to Paris and I put a note on his grave at the Cimetière du Montparnasse that read "Act II" and took a photo much to the chagrin of some old Frenchwoman.

And one of my professors in graduate school was quite Irish, taught at Trinity, won a Guggenheim, knew many of the influential mid-to late 20th century Irish writers, and was intellectually intimidating.

We cannot wait for Dublin.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM

I'm confused with the check in procedure at your web site. It won't allow you to pick the date of your arrival in Dublin to sign up for your services. It demands that you pick a date before 1 May 2012. You might want to check it out by logging in as a visitor. Sound like it would be fun to use for first timers to Dublin..
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM

I do hope to return someday...and once again enjoy Dublin and more.
Bill in Boston