What's it like living in Dublin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm posting for a friend of mine, so don't have a ton of details. She's looking for a new job and has been contacted by a recruiter about a position in Dublin. (Don't know what kind of position - I asked but she hasn't said yet.) Basically she's wondering about the cost of living vs. general pay scale and what the job market is like, as well as whether people are friendly, weather, that sort of thing. I haven't been to Dublin in about eight years so I told her I'd ask on here! She's about 28 and single, and definitely still in the "hmm, that could be fun for awhile" phase of the job hunt. She's currently an office manager, and I don't know what particular field she's looking in for future work.

Thanks in advance for any information!
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM

I'm 34, and my husband, young son and I lived in Dublin this past Summer. I loved it. I think a 28-year old single person would have a great experience there. It's not the biggest country in the world, but it certainly has plenty to do in the city and some beautiful places to travel in close proximity. I really enjoyed Dublin, and found Ireland to be the friendliest country I'd ever been to.

Cons: Dublin is EXPENSIVE. Seriously. Rent or housing is a fortune. I think you'd have to make a really good salary in order to be able to live to a certain standard there.

I don't have much time to write now but I would be inclined to tell your friend to go for it I'm sure natives will have some more detailed opinions for you.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, jumper! I was hoping you'd see my post - I remember reading about all your trips when y'all were in Dublin. I'll let her know!
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 12:42 AM

I moved here at a similar age from the U.S> (My parents are from here so I had a lot of family to rely on) Its a fun city but VERY expensive and salaries may not be as high as she is used to in the U.S. also there is a good quality of life but we do not have as strong a consumer lifestyle that they do in the U.S....This is changing rapidly but for example i do not have as much disposable income as I did in America. Housing is differemnt (expensive and much smaller so she should expect to share a place) As an office manager she would not be on a huge salary but who knows. I find it odd that a recruiter is mentioning Ireland as she owuld need a work permit and they would have to prove why they are hiring her over an EU person i.e. special skills etc.

On the up side its a fun young city. people are very friendly and she would make a lot of friends through work. Also I find no matter what you can live on what you make its just adjustments you have to make. I managed andI am still here! Job markets is not as booming as say 4 years ago but its fine. Check this out not sure its helpful but will give some idea

http://working.monster.ie/articles/salaries/

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/...Ireland/Salary

I think many salaries are higher than this but its a guideline
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:59 AM

I lived in Dublin 2000-2001 in my early 30s while pursuing a post grad degree at Trinity. My husband is a native Dubliner, so we visit Dublin and Wexford, where his family now is, at least once or twice a year (and we got married in Galway). I love the city and exploring the entire country.

That being said, Dublin has become really crowded and expensive (and I live in the NYC metro area so I know expensive), and I know the salaries are rarely as high as in the U.S. As SiobhanP said, I find it a bit strange that a recruiter is calling her for a job in Ireland. More people are staying and returning to Ireland than ever before, so I doubt they have a problem finding qualified employees who don't need a work permit.

The weather is similar, I believe, to some parts of the Pacific Northwest. Most people think it rains all the time. It may rain some each day, but usually you'll also have sun (and boy, can it be brilliant). The dampness in the air will get to her more than anything else, so she'd have to get used to drinking lots of hot tea. It rarely gets above 70 degrees, even in summer, so she'll be surprised that women bring out their bikinis when it hits 60! Plus, the stores stock turtlenecks (or, as they say, polo necks) all year round.

If your friend is willing to have roommates and can easily acclimate to a new culture, then I would say go for it. Everyone should experience living in another country. First, though, she should spend a week or two in Dublin and pretend to be living there--perhaps rent an efficiency so that she has to experience the day-to-day life in Dublin, such as buying groceries and getting into city centre. I found that I was treated differently depending on whether or not they thought I was a tourist or someone choosing to live there.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Siobhan and mowrites! I'll send her all your feedback. I thought it was a little strange myself that a recruiter was contacting her, when I had heard that so many people have been moving to Ireland over the past few years. We'll see what happens!