Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Driving Tour from Munich -> Belgium ->Netherlands->Berlin

Driving Tour from Munich -> Belgium ->Netherlands->Berlin

Mar 16th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Driving Tour from Munich -> Belgium ->Netherlands->Berlin

Me and my wife are leaving on Friday the 28th headed from America to Munich, Germany to pickup a new car via European Delivery. We will then be driving the car across Germany To Bruges then up to Amsterdam and then to Berlin where we will be dropping off the car and flying back to America. We both love food and beer and I am a Medieval Studies History major. We both enjoy occasional night life, but are really interested in seeing castles, old towns and seeing the sights. We would love recommendations on what to do while we're traveling and anything else anyone would like to share. Our plans include spending the night in Munich Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th, spending the night in Cologne on Monday 31st, Bruges on Tuesday 1st, Amsterdam on Wednesday 2nd, Hamburg on Thursday 3rd and then Berlin 4th and 5th.
Mar 16th, 2014, 12:37 PM

I am sorry to say with that time table you have little time to stop off and see anything else.
land on 28th (no time to get over jet lag?)
30th Munich to Cologne 570 odd km all on highway = around 4.5 hours.
31st Cologne to Bruges 320 odd km all on highway. = around 3.75 hours.
1st Bruges to Amsterdam 250 odd km on highway = around 2.75 hours.
2nd Amsterdam to Hamburg 470 od km on highway = around 4.5 hours
3rd Hamburg to Berlin 290 odd km on highway = around 2.75 hours.

Plus allow time to book in and out of hotels (maybe getting lost in city) and city traffic. Some days you will not have much time outside your location. I would save time to visit just the locations you list.
For Brgues http://visitbruges.be/
Restaurant: In't Nieuw Museum, Hooistraat.
Coffee: Délisa 'Délices & Saveurs', Jan van Eyckplein
Beer: Herberg Vlissinghe, Blekerstrat But I think that is closed on Mondays as maybe the museums are too.
Mar 16th, 2014, 12:49 PM

I think I would skip Belgium and he Netherlands and stick to Germany.
You need to make sure your car has an environment sticker to allow you into the city centres in Germany or you will have to find a hotel outside and use public transport in.

Parking in Brugge and in Amsterdam is expensive if your hotel doesn't provide parking. Many hotels don't, or charge for it if they do.

You really don't have time to enjoy Brugge or Amsterdam on this jaunt and it seems daft to clock up the Kms on your new car for two places you barely have time to see.
Mar 18th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Man, thought it wouldn't be too much. We booked at those cities already for hotels. We are pretty good with Travel, not too worried about Jet Lag. Might be the only time we get to this area of the world so we wanted to get as much in as possible. Any other ideas?
Mar 19th, 2014, 08:31 AM

You'll certainly see a lot of traffic jams on that round. Expect delays at Nuremberg, Frankfurt, Köln, Brussel, Antwerpen, Breda, Utrecht, Amsterdam, Hamburg and Berlin. If you're lucky, you will miss one or two traffic jams.

In Germany, as hetismij2 already said, so called green zones exist where you should carry a "Umweltplakette" on your windshield. If the factory won't provide one (ask them!) you may get one at the nearest TüV station. The fine for not having one is €40. Note: the chances to actually get fined are pretty slim.

It pays to use a TomTom navigation system that includes TomTom Live Services, even if your new car already features its own on-board navigation system. TomTom knows a thing or two about traffic jams and has the best traffic information available in this part of the world.

Refueling on the highway or anywhere in the Netherlands can be pricey. Sometimes it's enough to just exit the highway to find prices 10% cheaper than on the highway itself. The price difference between Belgium and the Netherlands is 10% (regular gas, for diesel not so much). Prices in Germany vary wildly, but in general fuel is cheaper than in Belgium.

When you like driving, it's gonna'be a nice trip. If driving is not your first goal, stay in Germany
Mar 19th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Your plan is really REALLY difficult. Ribeirscara's drive time estimates are in the ballpark but probably a little short. Then there is the huge problem of driving in each of those cities. Do all of your hotels have parking - if not that is another big problem.

This plan will not let you see 'as much as possible' . . . It will let you see nothing much except for motorways. Fewer destination actually allows one to see and do MORE since you aren't packing up and moving one every morning.

You will basically be driving or hunting for your hotels/parking most of each day. Have you pre-paid all your hotels? If not, I would 100% change your plans.
Mar 19th, 2014, 09:31 AM

I love to travel fast but even I would never ever undertake such an itinerary where you have one day for each place - you yes as janis says will be driving (on boring autobahns to even make those destinations on time) and checking into hotels and getting up and driving many hours to the next hotel - you will see very little of those cities and mainly autoroutes.

Serious refiguring needed here.
Mar 19th, 2014, 01:44 PM

cars are nice to drive around rural areas where trains don;t go - not for big cities where they can be a real liability and expensive to find parking, etc.

I'd narrow down your scope and use the car to its benefit - touring say Germany's Rhine and Mosel valleys - the Mosel being so so cute - drive up to Trier or Luxembourg

Or drive around Bavaria where there are so so many gems.

and then you can relax!

Driving only on autobahns really shows you little of Europe in between big cities - autobahns avoid cities of course and they are IME often lined by trees acting as windblocks or guard rails obscuring view and loads and loads of heavy trucks - no fun IMO.
Mar 19th, 2014, 02:27 PM

PalenQ on Mar 19, 14 at 4:44pm
Or drive around Bavaria where there are so so many gems.

PalenQ nailed it.

You want ". . . food and beer and I am a Medieval Studies History major. . . really interested in seeing castles, old towns and seeing the sights." Then just mosey around Bavaria and Saxony (in former East Germany) for the week.

If you are a newbie driver in Europe see http://tinyurl.com/jwls33z for an illustrated introduction to signage and other important items. Driving in the major cities is something you do not want to do, especially with a sparkling new Beamer.

Search this Thread