Search

Germany

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany

So I am planning a 18 day trip to Germany, the Netherlands and maybe Czech republic. My first time going to any of there countries. all I know I is want to see the berlin wall, the I Amsterdam sign, and Anne Frank's house. Any where you think would be fun to go please let me know I don't want to do super long train rides. and I want to see more landmarks and less museums. anything would help at this point.
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:16 PM

Know that while Germany is a beautiful country, a lot of the country was bombed out during World War II, and many old landmarks were destroyed (some were rebuilt).

And FYI, most of the Berlin Wall is gone. Only a very few small portions have been preserved for history's sake e.g. at the Berlin Wall Memorial (which is a must-see obviously).

Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a good Germany guidebook like the RIck Steves Germany book. See what appeals to you. You can also watch most of Rick Steve's videos on YouTube to see what some places are like.

If you really want to include the Netherlands and Czech Republic...probably start with Amsterdam and Prague (and presumably Berlin) and see what you have time left to see. Does 18 days include travel days to/from Europe? If so, then you might have 16 nights in reality.

You could fly from Amsterdam to Berlin if you don't like long train rides, although Germany has a fantastic rail system (as does much of western Europe). But training between Berlin and Prague might make the most sense especially if you detour down to Munich. Flying may be not any faster and a lot more expensive.

And - make sure you plan your arrival/departure in Europe as an "open jaw" to arrive in one city and depart from another, to avoid backtracking to your original city. Probably costs the same as a round-trip plane ticket, perhaps less.
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:08 PM

My brother is Dutch and lives in a small town and I honestly prefer is a lot more than Amsterdam. If you can, really get out of Amsterdam to see the "real" Netherlands. Maybe go to Giethoorn? Or somewhere between Germany and Amsterdam? The Netherlands as a whole is absolutely breathtaking.
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:22 PM

Split those 18 days in 4 days each for Amsterdam, Berlin, Nürnberg and Prague.
It's very well possible to spend your 18 days in the Netherlands alone, but that's true for most destinations. Have two full days in Amsterdam. Don't limit yourself to the Anne Frank Huis, but visit also the Jewish Historical Museum to get a glimpse of the culture which was wiped away (and admire those two synagogues). Have one day for Monnickendam and Edam (not Volendam: that's too crowded nowadays); another for Haarlem, Leiden, the Hague and/or Delft.
In Berlin don't forget to visit the eastern part. I always recommend going to the Treptower Park for the Soviet War Memorial. Not WWII, but very much the aftermath.
Nürnberg is worth a day. Spend the rest for daytrips to Bamberg, Würzburg and Regensburg.
Prague needs 4 days to explore. Don't forget the National Art Gallery. And possibly also the National Technical Museum, if only to understand why an independent Czechoslovakia was such a loss for the Austrian-Hungarian Empire.
Everything can nicely done by train. Nürnberg-Prague seems to be a bus nowadays. Check at https://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml, where you can also can buy your tickets in advance with considerable discount.
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:16 AM

Unless you want to queue in the afternoon/evening buy your ticket for the Anne Frankhuis online as soon as you now your dates.

Giethoorn is a nightmare to get to without a car, and in the summer is overrun with tourists. There are easier more "real" places to get to by public transport.
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:19 AM

Oops hit the wrong button. I meant to add given the time available to you stick to Amsterdam, and perhaps an afternoon in Haarlem, rather than trying to see too much of the Netherlands. You can always come back and explore it more - it is so much more than Amsterdam, just as Germany is more than Berlin, and the Czech Republic has more to offer than just Prague.