Help me Find a loop itinerary in Germany/Austria Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are from Altanta Georgia. My daughter will be studying in Edinburgh, Scotland (Napier) in the Spring or 2014 and my wife and I wanted to meet her in Europe and to spend her spring break with her. We debated between Britain, Turkey/Greece but think we have settled on some sort of driving tour of Germany. We will have about 2 weeks. It seems to me that coming up with a loop itinerary would be preferential given that airfares for one ways are pretty much the same as round trip airfares so we could save around $2k buy flying in and out of the same airport. Any ideas as to websites or itineraries where I could find a pre-made loop itinerary that would hit the highlights. Would also want to visit any really cool spots in Austria or Switzerland if we have time. We would like to see historical spots, castles and scenic countrysides. I am open to driving and consider it adventurous as well. Thanks for any help in advance.
Old May 7th, 2013, 10:53 AM

We did a wonderful driving tour in November last year that covered Cologne, Heidelberg, Munich, Salzbourg, Vaduz, Constance, Strasbourg, Brussels, Brugge and Amsterdam. Our in and out airport was Dusseldorf, which is 30 minutes from Cologne and 2.5 hours from Amsterdam, so the car was pick up and drop off very conveniently. This trip included beautiful country sides, with castles and adorable little towns (specially in Alsace and between Cologne and Munich, a region called Lorelie if I remember correctly).
I created this trip with google map, which gives you the time and distance between the points that you select, it is very helpful. My favorite stops (other than the little towns which is what I like the most) were Munich, Amsterdam and Brugge (this last one my absolutely favorite).
If you have specific questions feel free to ask.
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:22 AM

Here's what I did to organize a trip. We planned to see central and northern Germany, starting in Frankfurt and ending in Berlin with Lübeck being a prime destination. I purchased a map of Germany and a couple of guidebooks. Started highlighting places to see on the map as recommended in the guidebooks. And then dropped the idea of northern Germany as being too far, and concentrated on former East Germany south of Berlin.

I do not know if it is still available, but one of the European map companies used to have a map of the Alpine countries, which would fit your bill perfectly. With such a map and the relevant guidebooks, you should be able to figure out an itinerary that would probably start in Munich.
Old May 7th, 2013, 02:00 PM

Depending on when the spring break occurs, it may be safer to work out a loop of Bavaria, Upper Austria and Lower Austria. The Alpine roads may have too much snow if you are not used to driving in wintry conditions.
Old May 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM

I can't help with your loop but flying into one city and out of another doesn't really cost more. You don't buy two one way tickets but an "open jaw". On most air websites you can find it by selecting something called "multi-city". So you could easily fly into Amsterdam and out of Munich or something like that.
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Well thanks. That open jaw info helps the planning tremendously. Now thinking to maybe starting in Amsterdam and meandering our way down and possibly flying out of zurich or something like that.
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:55 PM

Agree with Michael, that a bit more compact loop is advisable, more to get a quality travel experience and quality time with family, rather than try to see too many miles. I'd recommend the following
1. Munich 2-3 days, with a visit to Dachau.
2. Ulm with it's cathedral
3. Romantic Road Augsburg to Fussen, (Neuschwanstein)
4. Lindau, Lake Constance
5. North shore of lake to Meersburg, then ferry to Konstanz or south shore in Switzerland past Bregenz and Romanshorn to Konstanz.
6. Konstanz, which was the seat of power of the Catholic church prior to moving to Rome.
7. Konstanz to Luzern, for a trip up Mt Pilatus, Rigi, or Titlis
8. Luzern to Innsbruck, with many side explorations of the wonderful Tyrolean country side.
9 Back to Munich.

or Drop Konstanz/Luzern, and add Chiemsee, Berchtesgaden (with Hitler's Eagle's nest) , and Salzburg.

Perhaps I've already suggested too much; for a trip such as you are proposing, less may be more. I think any four or so of what I've suggested would make for a delightful Spring Break. The important thing is not to try to plan too much.
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:19 PM

If renting a car in one country and dropping it off in another, there are hefty cross-border fees. That's why the open jaw does not always work to one's advantage. Moreover, a circular route does not mean doubling back on what has already been seen. But you could start in Frankfurt, rent a car, and return it in Munich. No extra charges there, depending on the rental agency.
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:08 AM

If you are now thinking of an Amsterdam - Zurich OJ flight;

You can take a train from Amsterdam across the border into Germany - Cologne, Aachen, etc., whatever is convenient - and rent the car there. Then you can drive to your hearts content through Germany moving into Belgium, France, Switzerland or Austria as you see fit and then drop the car in Konstanz, Germany and take a quick train right to the Zurich airport if you wish.

Alternately, you could depart from Munich (opens up more of Austria for you) or Frankfurt.

Germany probably has Europe's best rental rates and no (or minimal) drop fees between German cities.