Driving to Interlaken from Bolzano

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like some one who knows the landscape to advise me on a 2 day drive from Bolzano to Interlaken. How long a drive is it staying on scenic type roads, and where do I plan my night? Maps I have used suggest to me going through Chur to Andermatt. Is this the best route? I prefer driving only max of 5-6 hours per day with scenic stops
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you want to do a lot of passroad driving, I would go Bolzano, Merano, Landeck. From there, either on the Autobahn as far as St. Anton, or the side road B-316 to St.Anton. The latter will save you having to buy an Austrian Autobahn User's decal.

In any event, I would get off the Autobahn in St. Anton and take the pass road B-197 over the Arlberg Pass (easy driving!). This way you avoid having to drive the 2-lane Arlberg Tunnel, which is very busy and full of diesel fumes and costs extra. If you have the Austrian decal, get back on the Autobahn at Kloesterl, otherwise stay on the parallel road. Either way, you want to go as far as Feldkirch. There, cross into Switzerland, to Buchs, either direct or through Lichtenstein. At Buchs, get on the Autobahn N-13, but be sure you have a Swiss Autobahn user's decal.

Take the N-13 as far as the Disentis exit (via Chur). From Disentis/Reichenau take the route 19 to Andermatt.

From Andermatt, go on the N-7 to Wassen (just a few km), and take route 11 to Innertkirchen, across the Sustenpass. From Innertkirchen take the route to Meiringen and Interlaken.

The total route is about 480km. I have driven everything except the stretch from Andermatt to Interlaken, but I expect to drive it in reverse order in September.

Between Landeck and Feldkirch is an alternate route, very scenic. It is a toll road and will add about 50km to the trip. It is the Silvretta Hochstrasse. It runs from Pians, just west of Landeck to Bludenz. The route number is 188. It is closed from Nov. to Mai. I have driven this route also.

I probably would stay overnight near Chur