Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

which driving route from Wengen to Scoul??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our driving route. Via michelin recommends the route from wengen that passes by Luzern, Zug to the A3 ...through Davos to Scoul. I was considering the more scenic route taking the Sustern and Oberalppass instead. What do you think??
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Yes, yes, yes, drive the more scenic route via Susten, Oberalppass, Tiefencastel, Albula Pass. Have driven this route a couple of times (ok, some times to St. Moritz, but this doesn't matter, eh?) and enjoyed it very much. The part between Disentis and Flims/Laax is quite boring, but that is only one hour or so (down on the valley floor, no views).
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Via michelin says that it takes 5 hours plus but I assume that factors in some picture taking time. Also there are parts on the via michelin route that says link by train???
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Just a suggestion to be careful about relying on viamichelin. Just came back from a trip to Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Germany and found it to be very unreliable. We are so thankful to have had a navigation system in the car! Otherwise, we would have never found our hotels, and it probably saved our marriage
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

what did you find the most off??
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:33 PM

The overriding problem seemed to be with the route numbers. For instance, viamichelin listed a road as hwy 45. The highway would actually be 45/46, but the exit sign on the autostrade would feature only 46! This seemed to be common in Italy -- roads & highways with multiple identifiers. Also, there were a few times we were directed to turn left, when the turn was actually right. After a while, we ditched the michelin maps and placed our confidence in the car's GPS.

We did find viamichelin's drive times to be accurate. In Switzerland, we couldn't figure out why so much drive time was built into a relatively short trip. It was because we were directed to a narrow, rural, switchback road thru the alps that took forever (although I'll forever remember the views)! You get back what you put in -- say you want the shortest route, and you'll get it! Next time, I'll choose the fastest route when traveling over the alps! Just take everything very literally from viamichelin and print out every map for every interchange and it will probably suffice in Switzerland if you can't get the GPS.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 01:21 AM

wagsdvsm,

the problem with your route was probably that the direct routes through the Alps are toll roads - and the settings for the inquiry on viamichelin were probably on "no toll roads".

cparris - between Tiefencastel and Samedan they offer car transport on the trains in winter. Not in summer as far as I know. And really no need to do that.
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 01:36 AM

we have just returned. We had bought a Swiss motoring atlas which was handy, but my husband has one of those perfect senses of direction too.
Scuol is a very useful town for amenities but is not very charming. We stayed in Guarda at Pension Val Tuoui and loved every minute of everything!Guarda is an exquisite village with some sort of national preservation status. The walks are wonderful and the views to die for.We went to Scuol to stock up on picnic foods and to ride on the cable car up the mountains to walk and picnic amongst the beautiful flowers in the alpine meadows.
In case you can't tell, we had a wonderful time!
Switzerland is very sign posted.
Sally
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 01:37 AM

How could I forget - thank you so very much to Ingo and Swan Dav for their excellent information about everything Swiss.

Sally
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Schlosshotel Chastè which is close to the castle. I wanted to stay in Guarda but at the time wasn't able to get a room at the hotel I wanted. Also the Schlosshotel has a spa right at the hotel which my daughter will love. It sounds like a lot of good hiking. Ingo, Thanks for clarifying the train. I was wondering what that was about. Do you think then that it will take 5 hours??
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 02:30 AM

cparris - ehem, the car on the train thing is from Thusis (not Tiefencastel) to Samedan AND from Klosters-Selfranga to Lavin (Vereina tunnel). The Vereina tunnel is quite popular if you come from Zürich, it saves some time and the drive over the Flüela pass.

I think it is more realistic to calculate 6 hours. You'll have to slow down the speed on the pass roads due to many bikers.

The Schlosshotel Chasté is excellent! Very charming, good food, good views etc. You'll love it.

Salthegal - glad you liked your Swiss experience. Sorry about Scuol, but could it be that you only walked around the main street and missed the upper and lower parts of old Scuol? These rival Guarda in beauty (especially lower Scuol, "Scuol suot&quot!

I.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Ingo, we really didn't give Scuol a lot of time. We bought a picnic and went straight to the cable car. We then walked in the high meadows and forest and picnicked high up overlooking Scuol. It was simply gorgeous.
We went over to the castle at Tarasp too. It is all so beautiful.
Sally
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Just one more question. Would you stop in Andermat for lunch or somewhere else along the way. Thanks
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Ingo, Would you recommend taking the train then from Klosters-Selfranga to Lavin (Vereina tunnel). Does it save alot of time? I guess missing the fuelapass would be easier.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Hi cparris,

Just a short note to let you know that poor Ingo is in Garmisch this weekend!! He may get to an internet cafe, but we may not realistically hear from him until Tuesday. Poor, poor Ingo : ))

Anyway, best of luck!

s
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM

ps, sorry salthegal! I forgot to say thanks for the mention. As always, it's a joy to help folks find a good piece of Suisse!

s
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 01:45 AM

Poor Ingo is back

Thanks swandav!

For Lunch I'd stop at a mountain restaurant at Oberalppass - mountain views! If you want to wander around in a small town Andermatt is a good option. It's cute and there are a couple of good restaurants.

If you're early you can also stop in Disentis - have a quick look into the Benedictine convent (church). A good place for lunch there is Hotel Restaurant Alpsu (main street, signposted). They have excellent local food (e.g. Capuns).

The most scenic way to get to the Engadin is via (Tiefencastel-)Albula Pass. My second choice would be Flüela Pass, my third the Vereina tunnel.

Of course it depends on the weather! If the clouds are low and it's foggy it makes sense to take the train through the tunnel.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Did you have a good time in Garmisch??
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks for asking. Yes, I enjoyed my time in Garmisch, but it is not Switzerland ... ;-)

I plan to post a trip report, but it will take one or two weeks.