Driving North From York?

Search

Driving North From York?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving North From York?

I am planning a trip where I will rent a car in York and drive to Edinburgh. I have 4 days (3 nights) alloted for this drive. My concern is the driving distances the first two days are rather large (~100 miles each). I will start by asking only about the first day: For people familiar with the area, how many hours does it take to drive from York to Fountains Abbey (30 miles)?

Plus, How long would it take to drive from Fountains Abbey to Raby Castle (45 miles)?

Google maps tells me 1 hour, and 1 hour 15 min. Is that correct?

I'm considering a hotel for the night that is a further 22 miles north from Raby (giving me 97 miles total). This is to bring me within striking distance of Hadrian's Wall for the next day.

Would this be more than 3 hours driving total? Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM

Hi Khiori
Do you think 100 miles is far.... where do you live the Isle of Man? Re York to Fountains Abbey - it should take you about 30 minutes if you average 30 miles an hour... they arent busy roads... Ive never heard of Raby Castle but ditto it should take you about 45 minutes. It shouldn't take you more than 2 hours and thats being pessimistic. I frequently drive from Manchester to Edinburgh and that takes a pleasant and easy 4 hours but allow a break... it wont be as difficult from York to Edinburgh.
Good luck.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. That's much shorter times than Google Maps states. It's hard to believe as I drive 20 miles to work every day on an expressway and it takes 45 minutes! No traffic there must be nice.

I'm not sure why you want to know? I live in Pennsylvania. It is not a question of distance, it is time. It is health and age. I would have trouble being behind the wheel for 4 hours. 100 miles is a long TIME to drive for me. It might exhaust me.

Also, I will have never driven in England so I will naturally be driving slowly. Thank you for your reply. It is reassuring.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
sorry -- but I don't think there is any way one could drive from York to Fountains Abbey in 30 mins.

If one goes the "fast way" up the M to Ripon and down to the Abbey, it is 35 miles and at least a 60 mins drive. Going via Harrogate is a little shorter distance and a little longer time.

Fountains Abbey to Raby Castle is almost exactly 50 miles and easily an 80-90 minute drive.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

janisj, Thank you for weighing in. You seem to agree with Google for the York to Fountains time, but project an even longer time to Raby? I need to consider this as there is also the walking around at both places. I think it can be done, but I wonder how tired I'll be? I could stay close to Raby, but then I'd have even longer to drive the next day?

My plan as is calls for a slightly longer drive of 110 miles the next day. But it's mostly on the A68. I'd like to stop and see Housesteads Fort, then end up near Melrose. The plan is spend 2 nights there, then to Edinburgh, so much less driving after this. It's just these 2 long days, inlcuding sightseeing, that are worrying me.

You see, I was going to head another 22 miles north (after Raby) up the A68 and stop for the night at Derwent Manor. The next day go over to the Haltwhistle (Housesteads) area, then track back to the A68 and north through Jedburgh. I calculate 110 miles total, but lots of open highway through Northumberland Park. This part actually looks okay as it's one road the whole way.

3 hours total driving is doable, but I'm not sure I'd like 4 or more. I guess it doesn't tire other people the way it does me.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 08:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh -- I definitely think you can do both Fountains and Raby the same day and even drive farther north after visiting the castle. My point was just not to think they are 30 minute jaunts.

You do want to get an early start because you'll want generous time to explore Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal. Raby Castle is fine and you'll probably want to see High Force as well.

From Derwent Manor you would have plenty of time to spend 2or 3 hours exploring the Wall and then on to Melrose/Dryburgh.

100-110 miles a day isn't bad, especially since you aren't doing it in one straight shot, 20-40 mile segments and stops for sites/meals/photo ops breaks a day up nicely.

(When using the on-line calculators, you'll usually need to add 30%-40% to the drive times to account on "stuff" happening)
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 10:46 PM

Check out the directions on these two sites:
www.mapquest.co.uk and multimap.com. Both use different algorithms to calculate the drive times so you will get slightly different results. I find that mapquest usually comes up with slightly shorter times and is generally more accurate.

Of course the results are estimates only and will depend upon traffic and, most importantly where you are staying (e.g. if you are staying in the centre of a city then it can often take a lot of time to negotiate rush hour traffic. Generally speaking, the further north you go in this country, the traffic gets (and arguably the driving!) gets better.
Finally, I would agree with the previous poster re adding some time for unforeseen eventualities, but I use mapquest a lot and find that ignoring breaks and traffic jams their estimates are pretty accurate.

PS most rental companies will rent satnavs as an extra for £5/6 per day which may help
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 01:02 AM

The trouble with estimating York to Fountains is the amount of time it will take you to get out of York. The traffic can be horrendous, believe me. I'd personally go via Ripon. The route from Harrogate to Fountains is pretty twisty with lots of farm traffic and if you are a little uncertain about the driving you will find the Ripon route easier - the roads are generally better.
I am not sure if you are aware, but the Fountains Estate is very large and also includes Studley Royal Water Gardens, Fountains Hall, St Mary's Church etc. You could of course just visit the Abbey itself, but equally you could take a good while walking around and seeing everything (you can walk from the Abbey to the Watergardens up one side of the river, do a circuit of the gardens and back the other side). This map might help.
http://www.fountainsabbey.org.uk/htm...6041ef6eacff0b
A tip when visiting - if you park at the main Visitor Centre you have a pretty steep walk down to the Abbey. If you want to avoid this then there is a fairly large car park at the West Gate (priority disabled parking but anyone can park there as long as they don't use the disabled bays). The disadvantage of this is you'll miss visiting the Visitor Centre (although you could drive up there later). The advantage is that West Gate parking means you enter the grounds almost level with the Abbey saving you the steep walk, plus you walk right past Fountains Hall which is worth a quick visit.
Lastly, you seem to have an itinerary worked out, but I always recommend a visit to Holy Island (Lindisfarne) for anyone travelling from York to Edinburgh - truly a beautiful, special place.
www.lindisfarne.org.uk
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

janisj - Your reassurance is appreciated. I thought it could be done when I planned it, then started getting cold feet.

crellston - Thanks for the ideas. I will cross-check the map sites AND get the SAT/NAV.

Morgana - Copying to save your directions. Perfect! I will go by way of Ripon then, and use the online map of the grounds to park by the West Gate.

How about stopping in Ripon after for lunch and seeing the Minster?