North Yorkshire to Invergarry

Sep 18th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

North Yorkshire to Invergarry

We are travelling from North Yorkshire to Invergarry. Any suggestions for an overnight stay about half way? Budget approx 120 UK pound.
Sep 18th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

We will be driving.
Sep 18th, 2011, 08:26 PM

I'd normally break that drive a bit east of Carlisle and see some of Hadrian's Wall. It is a little less than half way.

Where in N. Yorks? The whole drive from York city to Invergarry is about 8 hours plus stops.
Sep 18th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi janis, Thank you! We will be staying a week somewhere on the Nth Yorkshire Moors at this stage nothing is booked but that general area.
Sep 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM

From someplace near Pickering the total drive would be about the same - 8 hours give or take.
Sep 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM

I haven't stayed here but researched it for a possible visit. The location is good for your route and close to the Wall

http://www.vallumbarn.co.uk/index.html
Sep 19th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janis, looks great will have a closer look.
Sep 20th, 2011, 12:19 AM

If you take the route over the A66 in Penrith :

http://www.georgeanddragonclifton.co...rge-and-dragon

Is just about the best pub in Cumbria with great food and rooms.

I really wish we could personally offer you an option, we are trying to sell one of our houses to set up a B&B in a 15 bedroom Rectory 5 miles off the M6 which would cater for stops just like this. Unfortunately the British property market had its last rites read to it last year.

If you are effectively taking two days to do the journey, why not go via Northumbria which is one a England's great last unspoilt areas. Huge, wild beaches and plenty of dramatic castle. From there on day 2 go up through Edinburgh. This route is considerably more driving.
Sep 20th, 2011, 01:30 AM

Hmm... well, I think the journey's a good bit less than 7 hours (even taking into account my driving standards; just bought a car with a smaller engine- who knows, I may stop saying things like that?). On that basis, Glasgow's a bit over half way. Now, you don't want to stay in Glasgow; but the Ayrshire coast might be nice.

Turnberry/Troon- in about there?
Sep 20th, 2011, 02:07 AM

"Hmm... well, I think the journey's a good bit less than 7 hours"

It isn't 8 hours, Janisj uses a bicycle but my Porsche is no comparative.

Sheila

I agree with the Ayrshire route over two days. The route from here to Invergarry is straight forward.

How about here :

http://www.trigonyhotel.co.uk/

Lovely place and close to Drumlanrig Castle.

or somewhere near Culzean
Sep 20th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

All great suggestions humptynumpty, thank you! Trigony Hotel looks very nice. Pity about your B&B......
Sep 20th, 2011, 07:18 AM

http://www.ladythorne.wanadoo.co.uk/index.htm

Here's another one : this is what B&Bs are all about. Not many attain the standards set by those upmarket ones in the States.

This would be useful if you took the Edinburgh route.

I really would try Trigony and go up the Ayr coast, have an lunch at Culzean and you will be in Invergarry by evening.
Sep 20th, 2011, 08:59 AM

I'm not really that far off -- even the AA route planner gives Pickering to Invergarry @ 351.4 miles/7 hrs 14 mins. Which you in your porsche or I in my Morgan+4 could probably beat.

But a visitor in a economy diesel rental car and who had never been in the area - not likely.

8 hours is VERY realistic IMO. And depending what time of the day one hits the the Glasgow area--could take longer.

The Northumberland route would be great -- but it is at least an hour longer
Sep 20th, 2011, 09:27 AM

janis

Northumbria, I agree.

...and I always forget the Highlands are not the Lowlands. Many of the highland roads make overtaking impossible, dreaded milk tankers or caravans!

Probably three routes then

1. Up the east coast, round Edinburgh and Pitlochry.

2. Middle route via the A66, M6, M74, Glasgow then Loch Lomond

3. West route via Dumfries and the Ayr coast.

I think 1 and 3 take something else in whilst travelling.

Route 2 just looks like travelling for the sake of it. I really don't like the M74.
Sep 20th, 2011, 09:38 AM

"...and I always forget the Highlands are not the Lowlands. Many of the highland roads make overtaking impossible, dreaded milk tankers or caravans!"

That bit between Carlisle and Glasgow--flat fast-- it is the other bits where rural/curvy/narrow roads jump up to bite one.

You and Sheila (and myself) can usually make good time on many of those routes.

But the drive times I suggest on the forums (and that get scoffed at ) are what I'd consider reasonable for first or 2nd time visitors.

I don't post what you or I or Jenson Button might manage --but what Tom from Topeka or Sue from Seattle can expect.
Sep 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM

No more scoffing, sorry.
Sep 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM

Bottom line is, I disagree about times. Partly, it's style. I like to know where I'm going and get there. Partly, it's familiarity with the roads; and partly it's viamichelin
Sep 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM

even Viamichelin (which recommends a slightly different route than AA) says 571 miles and 6 hrs 52 mins.

Still works out to about 8 hours for someone who doesn't have >>familiarity with the roads<<

I guess its just a matter of who is asking for help: A local who has been there done that . . . or a visitor who has never been there, has never laid eyes on a roundabout in his/her life, and is trying to remember to stay on the left side of the road.

So your times are close -- for you, for me most likely, for humpty. But not for most visitors from California/Texa/Ontario.

Every once in a while we get a report from a Fodorite that the drives were fine and shorter than they expected. But the vast majority say the drives were tougher and longer than any route planner calculated.

I don't post how long it would take me to drive a route, but how long a visitor should expect.
Sep 20th, 2011, 02:49 PM

>>from California/Texas/Ontario<<