Driving in Germany

Search

Driving in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Germany

We will be driving our son's car and already have acquired a permit, but are wondering if there is a sight to review driving laws and signs so that we can prepare properly for this adventure.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 07:03 AM
jkd

Moto europa.com should do it for you!
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 09:53 AM

a great site = "texhwyman.com"
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 11:39 AM

I really hope I'm not raining on your vacation, but I wanted to make sure that you and your son are aware that you are not permitted to drive his USAREUR-licensed vehicle unless he is in the car with you. It's something we didn't know about when we first got here, and we let my parents drive our car for a week. We later found out that we could have lost our driving privileges and vehicle licence had they been caught. I'm not sure if it would have invalidated our insurance too. You would have to go through the process to be licensed by the military here, and as far as I know they don't do that for visiting relatives. Here is the website of the regulation if your son wants to check it - http://rmv.hqusareur.army.mil/190-1/190-1.htm#P04-10

If indeed all of this unfortunately applies to you, he could always rent you a car at the rental place on base. Their prices are very reasonable and we've rented from their Sixt offices many times.

Sorry about this news if it applies to you Hope you have a great vacation despite this glitch!

Linda
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 11:59 AM

Ritajmae- it's me again. I was just mentioning this to my husband and he said he remembers hearing something about being able to get a special permit for immediate family members to drive a US licensed car here. Have your son check with the Customs office or Provost Marshall's office on base and they can help you. Hope I was wrong before and you can still drive it!
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 12:01 PM

Driving in Germany? Read the book recommended. We lived there in the service and go back frequently. One thing to remember on the autobahn: You only use the left lane to pass someone. When you finish the passing...move immediately back to the right lane.This is how it is supposed to work in the US but never does. In Germany it is a MUST!

Get a book with the road signs in it. This will help you a lot. Most are easy to figure out, many are not.

Get your son to tell you how the parking lots work. You buy you ticket at a central spot for time needed and then go back to car to place the ticket on the dash. All cars have a cardboard clock in the glove box. You use this in areas with limited parking times. You indicate the time you parked on the clock, place it on the dash and leaved. The meter maid will give you a ticket if the clock indicates you have been there too long.

Tires must be good. You will receive a ticket for bad tires.

Get used to speed. They really move on the autobahn. Overall the roads are better and smoother than any in US and the rules are followed. We always drive in Germany and you will enjoy the experience.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 03:29 PM

Have your son look at the licensing office or provost or maybe even the community center for these handy dandy little cards that have a bunch of road signs that you can carry around in your wallet, I believe that you can also find the USAREUR drivers test manual online at www.hqusareur.army.mil
Don't worry about driving, it's a breeze...parking can be a challenge though.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 05:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We live in Michigan. Driving on autobahn far preferable to US freeways. Heed "bob1"'s and "gotta_travel"'s advice closely. Stay in right lane. Have a ball!