Search

Driving Salzburg-Prague-Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:21 AM
pg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Salzburg-Prague-Berlin

Hi,<BR>I would like to know if it is OK to drive a rental car into C.R.. I am aware that some rental companies may have issues with this. How are te road/ traffic conditions in C.R.? What are the border crossing times into and out of C.R.? Are there any other issues that I need to be aware of?<BR>Thanks.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:55 AM

You must have prior approval from the rental co. to take a vehicle into the CZ. and make sure the paperwork says so on it. We did last year with Auto Europe and the only car brand they allow is Opel. It was rented from Hertz. Make sure you check the car for damage BEFORE you drive off. Crossing the border was no delay. Roads were excellent, almost as good as in Germany where we traveled. No other issues other than rent a stick shift, much cheaper. Most rentals have A.C. nowadays.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Don't forget you need a permit to drive in Czech Republic, stop at a gas station when you cross the border and purchase one. They were about 8.00 last year for 10 days.(may want to check this info again)<BR>When you rent a hotel make sure it has parking available at the hotel. Border crossing times were not long for cars, you just have to weave in and out of the trucks lined up. Cars have a different lane at the border crossing station.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:21 PM

My understanding is you only need a permit if you are using the 4 lane expressways ( autobahns ). Not necessary for other roads.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 09:00 AM

Take a look at http://www.jasoncholt.com/prague/prahadriving.html as it will tell you everything except the border crossing times (which are dependant on time of day etc). If you enter CZ from Austria you will eventually hit D1 which requires the vignette. This is all explained on the page. Enquire with the rental company if they have a car with the one-year vignette already on it as this will save you time and money. The 10 day vignette is valid for the day of sale and 9 days after. <BR><BR>Jason