Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Dutyfree" has to drive autobahn and Rhine/Mosel alone-any suggestions for her on driving in that area?

Search

"Dutyfree" has to drive autobahn and Rhine/Mosel alone-any suggestions for her on driving in that area?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After planning this trip to Germany for the past month (son is coming from India where he is working to Frankfurt to take a week course at the Frankfurt Business School and our family was going to meet him a week early to tour Rhine and Mosel area),my mother in law is dying and my husband will not be going. Long story she is 95,had a stroke and husband wants me to still go with kids on vacation and he will hopefully meet up with us later.
I have driven in France, England and Greece by myself with daughter but am feeling really uneasy with the autobahn and side roads.

I have a choice between a minivan(which I drive at home) or a Mercedes E class-which would be better for three persons with luggage?Price difference is over 300 hundred dollars.

We are staying in Bacharach,Beilstein,Trier and then back to Frankfurt-parking tips or any info you want to share?
Do I need an international driver's license-got one last year for Greece but thought that they expire after a year?
Does everyone just get the insurance coverage on their VISA credit card or do you take out the theft,CDW,etc.
To be honest, I was hoping after all the planning and emailing that once the trip happened I could sit back and enjoy the scenery....so if you have a tips or thoughts,I would very much appreciate them.Thanks!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM

My first thought is that being in the same car you drive at home would make it easer on you.

Second thought is that even if your son isn't going to do any of the driving, he can navigate -- and I can't imagine any particular awfulness of taking a wrong turn in that part of the world. You'll quickly get yourself right again. I assume you're doing your driving in the daylight. If you've driven by yourself in Greece, I can't imagine you are going to experience any hiccups in Germany.

I always get the max insurance. Call your credit card company to see what they cover.

An IDP is always good to have abroad, and yes, they do expire within the year.

You said your husband still wants you to go but it wasn't clear from your post if you still want to go. Sounds to me like you have plenty of time to reconsider. Why spend so much money to take a trip unless you are eager to do it? If you think you will enjoy it, feel glad to go and don't overworry the driving. But you had a great idea for a family trip that obviously is now out the window. Think about you actually want to take the different trip under the changed circumstances.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I still very much want to go as my daughter took off work for the week to see her brother and we have not seen him since February.I think because we were all looking forward to seeing my son that my husband has insisted that my daughter and I should still go-my MIL will only have her 5 kids at a graveside service so husband says it would be better to go to Germany.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM

Sounds right to me. I'm sure everyone hopes you will all enjoy the trip and enjoy life, as you would for others.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Zeppole although it sure won't be my fav...Italy!
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Driving the autobahn is not a problem. Just stay to the right side of the road, use the left for passing.

We just used our insurance that came with the cc. The roads are clearly marked.

Here's a good website-
www.gettingaroundgermany.info/auto
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Autobahn driving is no different that driving on the Interstates back home. But you need to stay in the right (slow traffic) lane unless you intend to pass. Just don't hang out in the passing lane any longer than you have to.

Once you get to Bacharach, the driving will be much simpler because you will mostly be following the river roads.

Instead of spending an extra $300 on a rental car, I would buy a Garmin GPS that already has European maps loaded. We will never travel to Europe without one again. It makes navigating so much easier and you can use it at home or on other European trips in the future.

Check with your credit card companies to see which offers the best coverage. Our Platinum Visa has better coverage than our standard Mastercard. Based on your credit card coverage, you might not even need additional coverage from the rental car company.

If you've driven in Greece, France and England by yourself, you'll be just fine with Germany!

If you go to each city's own website, you can usually find parking info online:

Trier: http://redaktion.trier.de/praefectus/trier?tourist_en

Bacharach (click on town map):
http://www.bacharach.de/english/code.../frameset.html

In Beilstein, there is street parking along the river.

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 03:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
good advice, there is only one autobahn junctions near Trier which is too tight for the signposted speeds so doubt you will find it. Stay in the slow lane but you will find that on occasion the road is a bit beaten up by the trucks

Both the mosel and Rhine have ferries and trains which go along the river so may find you can days off driving
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:50 AM

There is absolutely no need for an IDP in Germany--as long as you don't plan to head into Austria or Italy which do require it.

Driving in Germany is very easy. Good roads, well marked. If you drove in Greece, then Germany will be a piece of cake.

The Mercedes is plenty big for 3 persons with luggage. I wouldn't want to drive any sort of a minivan through some of those small town streets--unless it is super-mini.

We just use our Platinum Mastercard coverage for rentals.

We loved Hotel Haus Lipmann in Beilstein--their restaurant is also very good. I'm a much earlier riser than my wife is, so I would watch the boat traffic and water fowl activity from our hotel room window in the morning.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM

Oh, we enjoyed driving the back roads into Beilstein as opposed to going along the river all the way (when we left for the Rhein, we took the river route). Not sure if you want to try that, but if you want our route let me know and I'll dig it out from our Germany box.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:47 AM

"I was hoping after all the planning and emailing that once the trip happened I could sit back and enjoy the scenery..."

Why does duty-free "have to drive" if worried about driving generally, luggage space, IDL's, and cost? Take the train and sit back and enjoy the scenery.

It's 3.50 each from FRA to Mainz. Your transport from Mainz on will cost you 26 Euros/day for all 3 of you with a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (daypass.) At $9/gal, gas alone could approach that amount.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM

We didn't have GPS and after everyone's comments about how great it is, if we ever drive in Europe again, we'll make sure we have it.

We reserved a Mercedes E class wagon "or similar" and got the Audi A6 which was quite a bit smaller.

Our car rental reservation form (Europcar) said in multiple places that an International Driver's Permit was required. We got one and they didn't ask for it.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:39 AM

That is a really scenic area, and you don't want to be torn between seeing the views along the way and the safety of watching the road. I would agree with Russ. At least look into rail travel in that area - it's excellent.

From the airport, if you are just going to Bacharach for the night, you might want to use P2P tickets (€9,70 adult, €5,80 child under 15) - you didn't say how many children and ages. You can also use an RMV Gruppentageskarte for €30,90 for up to 5 people from the airport to Bacharach. There are regional trains from the airport to Bacharach; some are direct (no change).

Much of the area in which you are going to be traveling is in the Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Mosel, and a Netz Minigruppenkarte (up to 5 people, €20) is valid for all your travel in the Verkehrsverbund (VV). It extends south on the Mosel past Bullay, including Cochem and Beilstein. Unfortunately, Bacharach is just outside the VV, but if you taking the K-D boat from Bacharach to St. Goar anyway, you can by the Minigruppenkarte in St. Goar, which is in the VV. The Minigruppenkarte also covers buses in the VV. It's a 20 min bus ride from Cochem Bahnhof to Beilstein.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:40 AM

Very good question, Russ.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 09:15 AM

It's a wonderful area to drive in--lots of interesting stops and scenery along the way that is difficult to get to by public transport. But if you just want to see what's near the railway line, then the train is fine.

We've taken trips using only public transport; other trips using only rental cars; and still other trips using both--whatever was appropriate for what we wanted on that particular trip.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 09:17 AM

Oh, Beilstein would become a bit more complicated to reach as the town does not have train service.

And, for the same reason, Beilstein is not a good place to use as home base on the Mosel without your own transportation.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM

Dutyfree, my last post was so quick that I neglected to express my sympathy for your husband and the entire family.

If you go the rental car route, try to leave enough time for a long-ish Rhine cruise, so the driver can enjoy the scenery, too.

A bit of advice since we just did what you're going to do.

1. When you pick up the rental car, ask the person at the counter with the best English (they'll probably all be great!) to explain what signs to look for for the rental car return. We followed the signs for the terminal, ended up in the parking garage, had a hard time getting out and THEN found the garage for the return. Don't let this happen to you!

2. Ask at your first hotel about the parking dealie that will probably be in your glove compartment. It looks like a cardboard clock and you put in your window when you park in public pay lots. The first time we did the clock backwards but fortunately didn't get a ticket.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM

When returning a rental car at Frankfurt Airport, you should know what Terminal your flight will depart from.

To return your car, go to the correct terminal and follow the Rental Cars signs (no Rental Car "return" signs)

Follow the instructions given here and you shouldn't have any problems:

http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com...tal_return.htm
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

You guys are the best!Thanks for your tips and info-looking forward to the time with my son and daughter and the beauty of Germany. Wish me luck?
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:10 AM

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -