Reload this Page >

Driving in Europe

Search

Driving in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 10:50 AM
Kelly

Driving in Europe

Does anyone know how long it would take to drive from Northern Italy (Breschia/Milan/Verona) to Paris, France? We are most likely going to stop overnight for a few days in between but wanted to know if there is a direct route other than going through the Italian Riveria through the French Riveria (Nice) and then up that way?

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Wayne

You certainly don't want to go via the Coastal route. It's way too long, much out of the way. Go from Milan to Zurich-Basel-Besancon-just south of Dijon-to the A8 to Paris and you'll have autostrada/autoroute all the way.<BR><BR>There are other routes, but this one is probably the best. For a stop around half-way, with some nice day trips if you stay a few days, stop somewhere around Basel.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
mj

Direct routes are via the Mt. Blanc tunnel (FR) or the St. Gotthard tunnel (CH) - take your choice. I did Milan to Frankfurt via St. Gotthard and found it an enjoyable drive. Remember, if you go the CH route, the car needs a vignette (40Chf) and it is probably longer than the Mt. Blanc tunnel route but French highway tolls make me crazy.<BR><BR>www.shellgeostar.com, or<BR>www.viamichelin.com can provide directions.<BR>hth,

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 11:59 AM
Kelly

Wayne/MJ: Do you know how long in hours the drive would be (without stops) and then I can approx. how long a stop in between would be. Actually, there is a resort in Dijon-Chailly (France) that we may want to stay at. <BR><BR>Any thoughts? Thanks and much appreciated!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:39 PM
mj

Kelly,<BR>We did the Milan-&gt;Frankfurt trip over 2 days (overnight in Freiburg DE). As I recall, total driving time was ~8 hours (~5.5 hours from Milan to Freiburg including ~30 minute slowdown going thru St. Gotthard tunnel). Freiburg is ~100 miles from Dijon (guess).<BR><BR>For giggles, I just did a viamichelin route Milan to Paris and they route you thru Mt. Blanc tunnel. Scary thing is the tolls, ~$75, ouch. Told you those French tolls are a nighmare.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:55 PM
john

<BR>Kelly,<BR><BR>I drove Milan/Paris through the Mt. Blanc tunnel before the big accident a few years ago. This route non stop would be 8 to 10 hours and is the most direct. We overnighted in Burgundy and bought some wine in Beaune and Nuits-St-Georges. I can't drive through that area without slamming on the brake. <BR><BR>Going to Milan I drove through Switzerland via Basel because it is more direct from my original starting point, Amsterdam. My drive was at night and I became hopelessly lost on top of a 9,000 foot mountain in a cold drizzle at 2:00 in the morning. This was not one of my better travel moments. If you drive through Switzerland make sure to have some Swiss Franks, a local phone card, and Michelin maps. And you are subject to the annual highway fee even if you are just driving across, or over as was my case.<BR><BR>Tolls in France are steep, but that helps keep the divided highways nearly deserted. The speed limit is 130 km/h (80 mph) but many natives will fly past you at this rate. The frequent facilities on the tollways are superb for eat, sleep, and get going again.<BR><BR>John Bermont<BR>www.enjoy-europe.com<BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:57 PM
mj

Kelly,<BR>Should have read the rest of your post re: suggestions.<BR><BR>While we only stayed one night, we loved Freiburg. A nice old town (aren't they all though) that's right off the Autobahn. Arrived early afternoon and went to the catherdal square (doubles as the town market) and people watched. Walked a good bit of the town after dinner and if time was not an issue, we'd have stayed another day. There's also more to visit in the surrounding Black Forest areas.<BR><BR>You might also consider Strasbourg. Beautiful city, outrageous food/wine...Ahh, the Alsace.<BR>hth,<BR><BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 03:13 PM
Wayne

Kelly---Since you asked, I wanted to answer but don't have a whole lot to add to the previous answers. If you want to go all the way to Dijon, it will be a long one-day drive as already mentioned. If you were to stop in Dijon as mentioned, I would estimate about 9-10 hours driving time from Milan. The route I suggested, as you probably noticed, takes you near Dijon. The Milan to Zurich part of the route I suggested goes through the St. Gotthard tunnel, then on to Basel and points west and north.