Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need advice for driving from Nice to Milan

Need advice for driving from Nice to Milan

Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Need advice for driving from Nice to Milan

Hello again. Sorry to resend this post, but I believe I used the wrong topic, so no replies!

My family of 4 (all adults) will be driving from Nice to Milan this August. We need advice on an interesting route so we can see some interesting towns or sights along the way. Any ideas on where to go and what to see as we travel would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much!
Jul 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM

Are you planning to do this drive in one day, or stop overnight somewhere?

The fastest route is of course to use the autostrada along the Liguirian Riviera and pick up the A7 in Genoa to come up to Milan. Its actually quite scenic and you can get off at several places along the road to browse the seaside towns, although it may be quite crowded in August, I would try Albenga for a charming town, not directly on the beach, so maybe not so full. If you had time to stop over, Genoa is well worth a visit (see recent thread on this subject). About 4.5-5 hours without stops.

A longer drive, but very scenic would be to cut over the mountains from Ventimiglia over towards Cuneo, and then Bra and Alba and pick-up the A21 at Asti, then over to the A7. About 6-7 hours without stops.
Jul 23rd, 2007, 10:03 PM

I second sampaguita and would add the following.
The coastal highway has off course beautiful scenery and nice places to visit, but this highway is very busy and asks for constant attention while driving, due to the normal usual dense traffic (cars and lorries) and the added tourist traffic of August.
The inland route (Cuneo, Bra, Alba) is also a wonderful route with a rural scenery and a lot calmer. It will take you through a part of Piemonte known for its white truffles and red wine, with some little towns that are true gems. Then in Asti, you can hop on the A 21 and join the A7 after Alessandria, for Milan.

In this way, you'll have the advantage to enjoy the coestal scenery on the french part and the countryside scenery on the italian part of your trip.
Jul 24th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your advice. I am tempted to try the quicker coastal route, but we are traveling on a Friday. Will this be a mistake with weekend traffic, or are we traveling in the opposite direction of most traffic?
Jul 24th, 2007, 10:34 PM

Hard to tell.
In theory:
- August is a tourist traffic month, certainly till the weekend of the 18th,
- you're taking the opposite direction of most tourism traffic,
- the craziest days for traffic are certainly the saturdays. People try to switch and leave a day earlier, be it in the beginning or at the end, or both, of their trip, just to avoid these great traffic axes.
On a scale from 0, no traffic, to 10, crazy like hell, I would scale a Friday in August at 8 or 9 till the WE of the 18th, 6 or 7 afterwards.

But still, personally, I would take the country road...

Search this Thread