Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving time from Malpensa to SML and then to Nice

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Robyn France

Greetings,

We are considering flying in and out of Milan for a trip to southern France, as we are able to get Frequent Flyer tickets that way. Are considering driving to SML for 2 nights first, and then on to the Riviera for 5-6 nights before moving on. Our last stop would be Lake Como for 2-3 nights.

Questions--How long is the drive to SML from Malpensa?
How long from SML to the Nice area?
Do you have a suggested alternative route (not on the Ligurian coast) for the return to Milan?

We have frequently driven in both Italy and France, but would like to keep long driving days to a minimum. Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Robyn France

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Rex

For anyone planning a driving trip in Europe, I strongly recommend becoming familiar with (one or more of) the following excellent web resources:

www.viamichelin.com
www.mappy.com

or

www.shellgeostar.com

for driving distances and time estimates.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Wayne

To answer your questions:
(1) Milan to SML, once on the autostrada, will take 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
(2) SML to Nice, once on the autostrada/autoroute, will take 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
I don't include the time it takes to get to the autostrada, but at Milan Malpensa you are essentially there. At SML you are perhaps 15-20 minutes from it.

Is it possible that you are really asking for a suggested return route to Lake Como area, not to Milan? As I understand it, you are going to Lake Como after Nice and are not returning to Milan, per se. If it is as I have assumed, then Milan might be on the route to Como.

So if that's the case, and if you don't mind driving a bit more, you might try going up through the edge of the Alps from Nice to Cuneo-Torino-Novara-Milano, and then north to Como or Lecco, depending on which part of the lake you are heading for. North of Cuneo, you can get back on the autostrada, having driven through some nice mountains to get there. From that point, it's freeway most of the way. To make that drive, it's going to take about 6 hours. If you use freeway to the maximum extent, then you might require about 5 hours, perhaps less, but that does entail returning along the Ligurian coast on the way to Milan. I don't know if 5 or 6 hours of driving is that long for you. I usually like to keep my drives to 6 hours or less.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:15 AM
dena

Hi Robyn,

I can only answer the SML to Nice area question. We drove from Villefranche-sur-mer, France to Portofino, Italy in about 3 hours. Traffic quite a bit stressful, IMO, as lots of large trucks, tunnels and bridges. Not a real pleasant drive because of the large trucks and the speed. We were there just 2 months ago in the beginning of July, perhaps it is more crowded at that time. Good luck and have a great vacation.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:39 AM
RobynFrance

Thanks to all--Rex, thanks for reminding me about the useful web sites for driving distances. Dena, thanks as that was just what we needed on the SML-Villefranche leg. Wayne, thanks for your information--what we are thinking of doing is going to a spot on Como for 2 nights, and then probably go on to Milan_Malpensa for the last night for easy and stressfree departure. How long is the drive from Bellagio to Malpensa in your experience, or another spot on the lower portion of the lake. We stayed in Stresa on Maggiore a few years ago for our last night and were at Malpensa in less than an hour.

Thanks again for the helpl.

Take care,
Robyn France

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Wayne

You can stay your last night in Stresa, which is nice, or even closer in Arona, still on the lake and also pretty nice. From Arona to Malpensa is usually only about 30 minutes' drive.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Rex

You're very welcome, Robyn.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:29 AM
RobynFrance

Hi Wayne--just a note to say, I was just comparing Stresa to Malpensa with what a possible drive from Como would be. I will check per Rex's suggestions, but any practical experience would be helpful. Thanks.

Take care,
Robyn France