Reload this Page >

driving from Manchester

Search

driving from Manchester

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Susan

driving from Manchester

We will be in Manchester for a business meeting in early August, then 3 days to kill before flying out of London. We will have a rental car.<BR><BR>Should we go to Ireland, to the English Riviera or to Scotland? And where is the weather better? Are the coastal roads ok or should we stick to freeway driving?

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 09:32 PM
janis

For 3 days out of Manchester in August your best bets are 1) North Wales, 2) York and the Yorkshire Dales, or 3) southern Scotland. <BR><BR>All are close enough to reach in 3 hours or less and not overly crowded.<BR><BR>The Lake District is also wonderful but parts get very crowded in August. You would need to have already booked your accomodations in the Lakes.<BR><BR>By the "English Riviera" I assume you mean Cornwall. That is a LONG way and in August will be VERY crowded.<BR><BR>I would skip Ireland - you could take the ferry from Liverpool to Belfast or Dublin, or fly from Manchester. But you'd be silly to pay to transport you car and would end up having to rent another one in Ireland. 3 days total Manchester &gt; Ireland &gt; Manchester would not leave you much time to see anything, whereas if you stay in

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 11:15 PM
mel

Hi Susan,<BR><BR>North Wales gets my vote. It's very much closer than your other suggestions, and has plenty of wonderful scenery.<BR><BR>Mel.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 11:53 PM
'Barnabas'

Hello Susan,<BR><BR>To help you make up your mind, here are my estimated driving times for your options (solid driving, without breaks):<BR><BR>Manchester -&gt; Scotland: 4 hours (to the border, 5 hours for anywhere interesting)<BR>Scotland -&gt; London: 7 hours +<BR><BR>Manchester -&gt; Ireland: 5 hrs inc. ferry. But beware, the ferry can often be postponed for many hours due to weather.<BR>Ireland -&gt; London: 7 hours +<BR><BR>Manchester -&gt; 'Riviera': 5 hours<BR>'Riviera' -&gt; London 5 hours<BR><BR>.. and for one of the other suggestions:<BR>Manchester -&gt; N. Wales : 2 hrs<BR>N. Wales -&gt; London: 4-5 hrs.<BR><BR>B.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:22 AM
local

References to the "English Riviera" will most likely be met with blank stares in the UK. I vaguely remember that the seaside resort of Torquay in Devon (setting for the famous "Fawlty Towers" sitcom) did use this title as a marketing slogan a few years ago, but it's not an expression most people would recognise. Devon certainly has its attractions, not least in terms of better chances of good weather, but as others have said it's just too long a drive to take in in 3 spare days.<BR><BR>If I were you I'd go for the Lake District or York.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:39 AM
xxx

North Wales!!!!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 08:06 AM
sylvia

I'd say North Wales too possibly via Chester.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Susan

Thanks for the helpful replies! Now if we can just remember which side of the road to drive on . . .

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:29 AM
gil

I second the lakes! It's wonderful for a few nights and I agree with York, unique!!<BR><BR>Maybe also try a trip up to Durham, about an hour away and even Hadrians Wall could be possible.<BR><BR>Maybe I am a little optimistic but this is my part of the world.<BR>Cheers<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:20 PM
t

ttt

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Doug Weller

Just a note -- the M6 around Manchester and to Birmingham can be very busy, you can easily get delayed an hour. Make sure your trip back to your flight out isn't too stressful!<BR><BR>Doug