Planning exhaustion

Apr 4th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Planning exhaustion

...too much info! Trying to decide on where to go the last 9-10 days in July; London, Ireland, or Scotland..or is a two country combo doable? Never have been to these three so, really getting overwhelmed with options from Priceline, Cheaptix, Expedia..arghhhh!! Thinking we should see London at all costs and go from there IF there's time. Suggestions anyone? Planning on paying $200 a night for accommodations...
Help. Thanks
Apr 4th, 2005, 02:16 PM

I would probably leave out Ireland in favor of England and Scotland. Assuming you're renting a car it is doable although you could spend the entire time in London. A few years ago, we flew into Heathrow, rented a car and essentially did a figure 8 through England, Scotland and Wales ending back up in London at the end. We went through some of the eastern sea side towns in England, through St. Andrews and other golf meccas, up the whiskey trail along the Spey River. Then back through Wales (trying to understand Welsh signs on the back of buses was a scream), into England through the Cotswolds. We bypassed most of England south of London but that trip took about 10 days.
Apr 5th, 2005, 08:47 AM

It really comes down to whether you're up for an urban or rural experience, don't you think?

London is intensely urban. Getting out and seeing the countryside - (and I'd recommend you head for Wales - closer than Scotland, and so very lovely)- is a matchless experience.

While Ireland certainly has more than it's share of charms, I'd agree that for simplicity's sake, if nothing else, you leave that for another journey and concentrate on the British Isles. Good luck!
Apr 5th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Ireland is part of the British Isles. The British Isles includes the UK, Irish Republic, Isle of Man and Channel Islands.
Apr 5th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Seems like I'm seeing most people taking Scotland over Ireland about 70% of the time. Wales is an interesting alternative too.
Apr 5th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Yes, technically it's doable to get a taste of both England and Scotland in just 10 days; and if you don't mind the exhausting pace and you're fine with not seeing either one in any great detail, then go for it! But I wouldn't want to do both countries in that relatively short period of time --too exhausting with all the driving and constantly packing and unpacking bags, and trying to see too much in a relatively short period of time (I'm just not very fond those kinds of trips). If it were me I would pick either London or Edinburgh as a base, explore that city in as much detail as I wanted, and then do day trips to other interesting places via train or bus. It's more relaxing and you can see alot that way.