Reload this Page >

Via Appia (Catacombs), Forum, Pompeii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Jeannie

Are we overdosing on ruins here? We have 4 days in Rome, one of which will include a short day-trip to Pompeii. Traveling with my father who is a minister and avid student of history (religious & secular). But also traveling with my 19 year old son. I know it's a long drive to Pompeii, but everyone wants to go & we'd enjoy the ride. Thanks

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Dick

Well, I'd say no, but everyone's different. Sounds like a tough combination of traveling companions. My wife and I are history/archaeology buffs and we spent four very long days exclusively in the Forum and on the Palatine Hill and felt rushed - it wouldn't suprise me if your father is the same way. I'm sure others are bored in four hours. Pompeii is a bit different because it's so much more "alive" and for that reason I think will hold your son's interest - you won't do it as a short day trip, however - we went on the train and it was a very, very long day. We spent about five hours actually in Pompeii and wish we'd had five days. I think I'd recommend leaving the Via Appia and catacombs for last - though we loved both - and changing plans accordingly if your son begins to lose interest. Don't forget the Colosseum and Baths of Caracalla, by the way - I think your son might find both somewhat more interesting than the Forum.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Marilyn

Don't miss Herculeneum (sp?) if you can help it. It is smaller than Pompeii but more intact. Marilyn

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:15 AM
AttyVette

My dad's a minister too and we are planning on going there. By the way, I have a22 year old daughter and 19 year old son (as well as my mother) who are also going with me to Italy next week.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Jeannie

Thanks for the replies & great info. We'll need to narrow things down, but it's painful. AttyVette, when are you getting back from Rome? I would love to hear how it went since your group is so similar to ours. Thanks again everyone for the help; I search & search on the internet and frequently get the best answers here at Fodors.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Doug Weller

I'd argue for Herculaneum over Pompeii, gives you a better feeling of being in a Roman town. <BR><BR>But you might consider Ostia Antica instead, it is a *lot* closer.<BR><BR>Doug