pompeii or ostea antica

Jun 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

pompeii or ostea antica

I have a 3 week drive from Paris to Rome in January. My original plan was to go to Southern Italy - come up the coast to see Pompeii/Herculaneum then spend 3 nights in Rome before flying home to Australia...Wife and 3 kids (15,11,8)
3 questions.
1. Is one day realistic for both Pompeii/Herculaneum?
2. If so which of the two would be a better bet especially for the children.
3. Is Ostea Antica a realistic alternative?
Thanks
Jun 8th, 2007, 05:31 PM

jedistar,
I couldn't do Pompeii and Herculaneum on the same day. After four or five hours at Pompeii I was ready to sit for a long time. I have been three times and still haven't seen everything.

Herculaneum could be done in three or four hours and that may be the limit for the kids.

I have taken 10 year olds to Ostia Antica and they all loved it. In some ways it is better then Pompeii especially for kids.

Henry
Jun 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Similar but different. I guess I prefer Ostia Antica to Pompei simply because there are far fewer people and it is a park.

Ostia gives you more of an idea on how normal folks lived. Pompei has far better frescoes.

Dave
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:34 PM

I would do Pompeii and Herculaneum on the same day, but it IS a lot of walking. Might be too much to expect the 8 & 11 year olds to maintain interest for that long.

If one, I would recommend Pompeii over Herculaneum.

I did not find Ostea Antica anywhere near as interesting as either Pompeii or Herculaneum. Also, if you only have 3 days in Rome, there is so much to see in the city, I would not bother traveling outside.

Another suggestion if you are driving from the South that would work with Pompeii - Paestum.

(http://www.initaly.com/regions/campania/paestum.htm)

Marvelous Greek ruins, excellent modern museum .. in the middle of NOWHERE, just a few small restaurants.
Jun 9th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I liked Ostia Antica as much as Pompeii - it was quieter and allowed for a bit more "running around" which might appeal more to your kids. It would be a shorter trip as well both in terms of distance from Rome and the time you would need to see it.