Herculaneum or Pompeii?

Sep 12th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Herculaneum or Pompeii?

Boyfriend and I are traveling to Italy in mid October. I have been to Pompeii twice and he has never traveled to Italy. I want to do Vesuvius and either Pompeii or Herculaneum in one day. Does anyone have an opinion on whether Pompeii is better than Herculaneum for the first time visitor?

Thanks
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:44 AM

Hi Kiki - For a first-timer I think Pompeii wins IMO ...

Steve
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:47 AM

I actually liked herculaneum, it is also smaller so easier to do.
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:03 AM

Depends on the person, Pompeii is more famous and thus some people want to say they have been there. I liked Herc as it was in my view more dramatic perhaps due to being smaller and more comprehensible as a town.
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:18 AM

Ideally it is good to go to both. I would vote for Pompeii if only one. To me the fact it is bigger is a plus, not a minus. It was a larger, more important city than Herculaneum. I don't think people go there just before it is more famous; i think it is more famous because it provides a more complete idea of ancient Roman life.
Sep 13th, 2007, 05:48 PM

our vote is for Herc. I agree with sansman on his views.
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:05 AM

As time may be a constraint, if the choice was between rushing around in Pompeii, and Having a leisurely stroll in Herculaneum, then the latter.

On our last visit, the fact that Herculaneum was much quieter was a big bonus. The bathhouse complex is probably the best of all the ruins at either site. On top of that the fact that at any point you can look up and see the 60 feet of rock that covered the city in the explosion is quite awesome.
Sep 14th, 2007, 05:40 AM

You mentioned that yu want to "do Vesuvius also. SO I suggest Herculaneum. Pompei and Herculaneum are so different, and Pompeii requires more open ended time, IMO.
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Herculaneum to avoid the hordes of tour groups.
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Pompeii - and it's not even arguable IMO even if Herk is more intimate, enjoyable, etc. - which to me it wasn't

Pompeii has a great setting - Herk as i remember is a whole in the ground in a slum-like neighborhood
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:51 AM

kiki2, I have no idea, since I have not been to Herc! Loved Pompeii though. But I was curious, so I read this thread. If I had asked your question, I would be more undecided now! Seems like divided opinions & pros for both sites!

Good luck & hope you make decisions better than I do!

By the way, we like Ostia Antica better than Pompeii! Now that wasn't nice of me to give you another option, was it!

Have a great trip, Julie
Sep 14th, 2007, 12:09 PM

i was more entralled at both Osita Antica and especially Hadrian's Villa, both short bus or train rides from Rome, then Pompeii, which enthralled me as well.
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Herc for me. It is more complete and still has that ghost town feeling.
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

WOW! Thanks for all the great advice guys but I think I am more confused than ever. Seems like Ostia Antica is also a favorite. I think we may go to Pompeii first and then see how much time we have left. Since I have been to Pompeii, I would love to see Herculaneum but I can appreciate that Pompeii is probably more important for the first timer. Thanks everyone for the great advice!