Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Cadiz to Ronda - which route?

Jan 12th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Hello all, we'll be in Andalucia in March, traveling with my parents (in their 70s) and my teenage children. We'll be driving from Cadiz to Ronda and I'm wondering whether we should take the more direct route via Arcos de la Frontera or the much longer southern route via Tarifa. On a separate day we will already have visited Vejer de la Frontera, so the only real reason to take the longer route is if it's a special drive along the coast and/or Tarifa is super cool. What do you think?
Jan 12th, 2015, 10:42 AM

The drive down the coast is interesting, and a little windy on most days, but you will want to avoid the heavy traffic associated with the Port of Algeciras.

If you're looking for a more interesting, if not a more challenging, route, then you can consider heading to the Alcalá de los Gazules (Cádiz), and then over the mountains (A-375/C-3331) to the other historic white village of Jimena de la Frontera (Cádiz) where you can stop for lunch before finally ending up in Ronda.

Both of these white villages are part of the famous "Ruta del Toro" (www.cadiz-turismo.com/rutas/rutadeltorocadiz.php).

When in Vejer de la Frontera, be sure to visit Yeguada de La Cartuja (http://www.yeguadacartuja.com), the breeding farm for the pure bred Carthusian horses of Andalucia (http://www.pinterest.com/sanfermines...de-la-cartuja/).
Jan 12th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Interesting idea. How much more challenging is the drive? I'm an adventurous person but we'll be in a mini-van - are the roads hair raising or just lots of switchbacks?
Jan 12th, 2015, 11:54 AM

It's not that bad. Good road and great views. You'll be driving through the Sierra de Grazalema mountains, a large nature park. The drive, without stops, will take around 4 hours.
Jan 12th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Ok, great. We'll try it! Jimena de la Frontera looks like a perfect place to stop for lunch. Thanks!
Jan 12th, 2015, 11:54 PM

Robert2533 - Have you experienced both Yeguada de La Cartuja and the Andalucian School of Equestrian Art? This one tends to be what I hear about most often, but I had also done some research on Yeguada. If you have been to both can you offer any insight on which might be better for a family with teenagers.

Thanks
Jan 13th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Lisabu, coincidentally I just booked a tour at Yeguada de la Cartuja. The Saturday visit works better for our schedule (after the horse show we'll drive over to Ronda), but it was also well reviewed on TA and it looks like a beautiful facility.
Jan 13th, 2015, 08:22 AM

They are both good, but completely different. You can take pictutes at Yeguada de La Cartuja and get up close to the horses. Not so at the Andalucian School of Equestrian Art.
Jan 13th, 2015, 03:23 PM

I was leaning toward Yeguada also as I kind of go the feeling it might be a little more personal. Do you think the show is as professional? Our schedule will allow for either. We will be staying in Vejer when we go.

Robert - I have a routing question also - We are spending time in Seville and then a few days in Vejer. I was thinking when we leave Vejer would drive to Marbella and do one day trip to Ronda and the second day spend some time at the beach before making the 2 hour drive to Granada. My kids would like some beach time (more calm waters and beach club type atmosphere that the beaches near Vejer). Do you think this is a reasonable option or am I going too far out of my way driving wise? Also, it seemed like maybe the road to Ronda from Marbella was a little more straight forward (or at least shorter). I have one teen prone to car sickness.

Txtree - just wondering if you've come across any unique experiences that teens would like - always more challenging than young kids. If so I would love to hear. We will arrive in Seville mid June.

Thanks
Jan 13th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Lisabu, we're going to Andalucia in March so I'll report back on what my boys liked (though of course our weather will be different than yours - no beach time for us!). Besides the main touristic attractions (like the Real Alcazar, cathedrals, mosques, Alhambra), we have planned for the horse show in Jerez, a visit to the bull farm near Ronda, a cooking class in Vejer de la Frontera, and a flamenco show in Cordoba. We'll probably also rent bikes in Cadiz and ride along the coast a bit.
Jan 14th, 2015, 10:46 AM

Your plan sounds very much like what I have planned. Are you doing a cooking class with Annie B? If so are you staying in Vejer or just going for the day. The options available to me in Vejer are not very exciting so I am thinking I might just go for the cooking class and stay somewhere else. However, I have heard that Vejer is a nice town to stay for a few days.

Would love to get your insights after your trip if you remember to post them.
Jan 14th, 2015, 12:12 PM

The road from Marbella to Ronda is in good condition, but traffic may be heavy at times the closer you are to Marbella. A lot of the traffic is truck traffic. Instead, I would look at taking the A-377 out of Estepona, pass Manilva, picking up the A-369 into Ronda.

This route will take you past the white villages of Benalauría, Algatocín and Benadalid, where you can stop and possibly avoid a little carsickness.

Without stops, the drive will take around 2 hours. You can return to Marbella on the A-397. It's all downhill from Ronda and it will be easier to deal with the truck traffic.
Jan 14th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Our cooking class is through A Taste of Spain. We are staying in Cadiz and visiting Vejer for the day. I'll definitely report back!
Jan 15th, 2015, 11:29 PM

Sounds great - I will be looking for your insight when you return. Have a great trip.

Robert - Thanks for the advice on driving to Ronda. It makes sense to go through Estepona. 2 hours of drive time is totally doable. Having a few places to stop along the way makes it better. Thanks for the advice.
Jan 15th, 2015, 11:29 PM

Sounds great - I will be looking for your insight when you return. Have a great trip.

Robert - Thanks for the advice on driving to Ronda. It makes sense to go through Estepona. 2 hours of drive time is totally doable. Having a few places to stop along the way makes it better. Thanks for the advice.