Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pueblos Blancos-how much time to see properly?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We booked ourselves into the Parador in Carmona for two nights, not realizing at the time of our booking that the two days we had set aside for our tour of the Pueblos Blancos might not be insufficient. (any thoughts on this?) We can't alter our reservation at the Parador as the dates we would like to change to are already taken. Our options are to leave the reservation as is, or give up one night at the Parador in Carmona for a night in Arcos de la Frontera or Jerez. What would you do? We are staying two nights at the Parador in Ronda and will be arriving in Ronda by way of Grenada. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:02 PM

You again???? ;-)
Staying in Ronda is an easy drive to Grazalema and Zahara. You can get up, stroll a while and take the car for a 40 min drive to Grazalema. The "loop" I recommend is: Grazalema-->Zahara de la Sierra-->Algodonales-->Ronda. You can have lunch at Grazalema:Rest La Garrocha at the Hotel Puerta de la Villa (first of all visit the tourist office, they are VERY helpful). After lunch drive to have merienda at Zahara, on top of the town is Hotel Arco de la Villa. And go back to Ronda passing Algodonales, where you can stop if you want.
To Arcos is almost 2 hours; I think you'll do without it. Carmona Parador is excellent, do not miss a night there.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Josele, can I get to Grazalema easily from Arcos de la Frontera? We will be travelling from Arcos to Ronda then on to Nerja and I was wondering if we could go via Grazalema and Zahara.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Josele! I did mention that I had put myself in a tail spin by really beginning to do in depth research for the trip, didn't I? (I don't know how to put those cute smily faces into a message, but if I did, I would put one here). Do you think we could drive out toward Carmona by way of Arcos? I know it would be a LONG drive back to Carmona but it would give us more time to visit the Pueblos Blancos.

After reading other postings on Jerez, I think that is one place that we can skip over this time around.

Thank you again-especially for your patience with my multiple postings!
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Liz, it is very easy driving Arcos to Grazalema as it is a straight line west to east on the map. Then carry on east and get to Ronda. It is secondary road but good, and beautiful landscape.
Zahara is north from Grazalema, a short drive. Then carry on to Algodonales-->Ronda, or go back to Grazalema.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Oooops, I meant Lily.

Adventuredays, is your question answered in your other post? In any case, it'd be a total 210km and 3h30 min, but not going via Grazalema.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 04:30 PM

We really enjoyed Zahara and on to Grazalema. I don't recall the road but it was a high mountain road with narrow winding curves. The view at the top of the mountain was breathtaking. There is an area to pull off and take in the views. I probably shot 2 or 3 rolls of film.

If that fits into your itinerary I would consider it.

btw, you will love the parador in Rhonda. Make sure you have dinner across the gorge at the Hotel Montelirio, if its still called that. Restaurant there was Albacara. A wonderful view from the patio looking back at the bridge and the parador. Highly recommend!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Thanks Josele, very helpful.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM

I am doing some planning and we are driving from Seville to Ronda. I am trying to determine what is the best route to maximize views, walks and towns. We will also have the next day to do Ronda and whatever else.

Any suggestions, including dining and driving? Zahara sounds gorgeous but is it a crazy drive?

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM

Last May we drove from Seville to Ronda via Grazalamea and Zahara and the drive is rather breath taking. You can't believe how high up the mountains you are driving. You can see the road ahead and it seems impossible and the views are spectacular. Also really enjoyed seeing Grazalema and Zahara - we stopped for lunch in Grazalema and climbed up to the ruins there - info at the small local tourist office. We then drove on to Cartajima, 16 km outside of Ronda and stayed at Los Castanos instead of in Ronda. This small white village is lovely and the hotel is wonderful with charming rooms and balconies with views that are beautiful. The highlight was dinner at the town's only restaurant, outside with a view of the mountains and all of the locals enjoying an evening out. There were no menus and the owner simply brought us plate after plate of wonderful food - with wine, desert, liqueurs, and three courses the bill was 45 Euros. I would highly recommend staying here for the experience of being in a small village, enjoying the hotel, and going to the restaurant.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM

Hi Adventuredays

Sure wish I were going with you.
Love Andalucia. Love Spain,
sigh....
Anyway here are the smiley things you asked for...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 10:45 AM

We, too, drove the high road between Zahara and Grazalema. It was a windy road which provided stunning views and very tight turns, too! There is a stop at the peak that you must do. It has a parking area and areas to take in the scenery. The views were breathtaking. You could see the electric blue lake in Zahara and we were so high the eagles/hawks were flying below us. It was a highlight of our trip.

I haven't scanned the photos to my computer yet but when I do I'll be sure to post them.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the tips, sounds like a great drive with views and lookouts. do you go through Zahara first?

Has anyone done the walk in between know as garganta verde? It sounds fantastic.

Cheers
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Better visit Zahara in the afternoon or evening, as it faces the setting sun.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the tip. Would it be possible to leave from Seville in the morning and go to Grazalema, do the hike (3hours), end up in the late afternoon in Zahara, and end up in Ronda. Or as usual, am I overplanning?

thx
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 04:44 AM

From Seville to Grazalema is 125 km., and an estimated 2,30hours (non-stop). Leave Seville south via N-IV towards Los Palacios, and Venta Nueva, where you take left to Villamartín, Prado del Rey, El Bosque and Grazalema.
I think you’ll be able to do your hike (which hike?) and eat at Grazalema, then drive to Zahara and have a coffee, there’s a good hotel on top (Arco de la Villa) where you can stay or continue to Ronda: 44km, 1 hour. Make sure to drive from Zahara towards Algodonales, this road goes over the dam, with a mirador where you can stop. You can make a short stop at Algodonales to see the church front, facing west (if you have not seen enough churches by now) and continue to Ronda on a nice road.
Have in mind that you’ll make stops along your drive, but you can have lunch late, at 3 to 3’30PM with no problem.