Cornwall and Wales

Search

Cornwall and Wales

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornwall and Wales

We are thinking about flying from east cost of US to London in late March. We would have nine nights and would like to see some of Cornwall, and DH would like to see the area around Brecon Beacons. We have been to London so will not visit on this trip.

Since we will be jet lagged, we would likely drive a couple of hours and spend the first night along the way, then the last night would be near the airport. So that would leave us 7 nights.

My question is: is this doable? We are pretty laid back, don't have to see it all, and like the coast and small towns. It looks like we would have one day of a fairly long drive between maybe Truro and Brecon, and are okay with that. We are very used to driving around Ireland and have driven around parts of Scotland.

Would we be trying to cover too much territory? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 12:26 PM
ESW

It's perfectly doable. Truro to Brecon across the Severn Bridge is only about 4 hours drive.

Cornwall in March will be lovely. Spring comes early there. Depending on the weather,the tops of the Brecon Beacons may still have snow in March as they reach nearly 3000'.

Rather than driving all the way to Cornwall, have you thought about catching the train? That would save a long drive and give you time to recover from jet lag. Hire a car when you arrive at your destination and plan to drop it off when you get back to the airport.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 02:32 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I second ESW's suggestion of a train to Cornwall, saving you time and effort on arrival. It makes perfect sense, especially for such a short trip. Give yourself all the help you can.

There's coach service to Reading train station from Heathrow, if you arrive at Heathrow, and trains on to Cornwall from there, no more difficult than picking up a car.

Here's a hypothetical journey from Heathrow bus station to Penzance:
http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...20315/1130/dep

It appears you can include the bus ticket to Reading in the above, or here is the site for the bus only: http://railair.com/
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 02:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
here's another vote for catching the train to Cornwall - it's a very easy way to get here and there's the bonus of being able to see one of the world's most memorable stretches of railway line between Exeter and Saltash [just after Plymouth] culminating in crossing the Tamar on Brunel's famous bridge.

After that either Truro or Falmouth would make a good base, [Hertz have a car hire depot at Truro station] and from there it's a 4-5 hour drive to the Brecons - we used to take DS to uni in Wales that way so I know it reasonably well. you could then return your car to a convenient station and get the train back to London.

If you'd like some ideas of where to stay and /or what to do in 4-5 days in Cornwall, just shout!
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 02:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Train to Cornwall, then the next day collect your rental car, after Cornwall, drive through Devon, Somerset and on up to Wales, drop the car either at LHR -- or in Cardiff and take the express coach to LHR.
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Once we decide to do this I am sure we will have more questions. Our train service around here is so scarce that I don't think about how great trains are in Europe. That would also give us another night in Cornwall...
Old Jan 15th, 2015, 10:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That would also give us another night in Cornwall>>

or picking up on JJ's idea en route to the Brecons you could spent a night in North Devon - I've a great idea for this if you are interested. it would mean some driving on non-motorways and increase the time driving, but takes you through such wonderful countryside that you might not mind!