Driving France for 3 weeks - Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just starting to put together a 6 week driving trip - first 3 in France & 3 more in Spain. As we have been to Paris many times, we will pick up a car (2 pm) at CdeG and head south. Planning first night in Chartres.

Day two: Can any one tell me whether we can leave Chartres in the morning and do a quick peek at Orleans (although it seems by this post not to have much to see), and then stop at Blois. Skip Tours, and sleep in Montbazon (Domaine de la Tortiniere)

Day 3: We've been to Chambord, Cheverny, & Chenonceaux already, so wanted to visit other spots around and in Tours on day 3 - any suggestions?? Return to (Domaine de la Tortiniere)

Day 4: Visit Azay-le-Rideau, Chinon - and now I'm stumped. We will head to Dordogne (on all the great Fodor's advice - thanks StCirq), but not sure what to see between Tours area and the Dordogne. From there we will visit Provence towns, Luberon towns, Nimes, Carcassonne, and into Spain via Andorra.

Not leaving until October, but as it's a long trip, I do want to start plotting our route, with of course much flexibility. Don't want to book every hotel, cause the great thing about driving is finding little unexpected gems. Thanks to all who can give some advice!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:31 AM

Hi

Maybe your day 1 & 2 route could be CDG / Orleans / Blois (stay) / Vendome / Chartres / Montbazon

Either way round it is a bit tortuous to include Orleans and Chartres !

Day 4 : think of Loches

In the South plan to see a few more parts of Languedoc. As well as PdG & Nimes, Aigues Mortes, Montpellier and Narbonne are worth a look. And it would be a pity to miss the Camargue ?

An alternative to crossing the Pyrenees via Andorra, is to follow the coast road and take in part of the Costa Brava, Dali's house & museum and maybe even Barcelona. The medieval part of Gerona is worth a visit.

October is OK for "go as you please". Roads are fairly quiet, start looking for hotels at 16.00, and you will be OK. The weather in the South is a bit variable. However rain (which can be very heavy) tends to be over quickly and is often overnight.

Bon voyage

Peter
The Languedoc Page
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:16 AM

1 hour Chartres to Orleans + 4 hours (art museum, old mayor's office, cathedral, Joan d'Arc's house, lunch. You'll have to choose which ones.)

1 hour maybe a touch less to Blois + 4 hours (chateau, magic museum, shopping district.)

1 hour to Montbazon.

That's an 11 hour day. It'll be hectic and you'll just skim the towns, but it's certainly possible. Unless you have a real thing for Joan of Arc you might leave Orleans out. Though I thought it was a nice town for a daytrip, it's certainly not one of "France's Most Beautiful Villages."

It'll be a reduced schedule for a sound & light show at the Blois castle if it's playing at all. It'll be dark early in October though so if it's showing you could watch it before driving to Montbazon.

Day 3 there's Amboise, Langeais, etc. Amboise has the castle, clos de luce (da Vinci's last residence) and is a pretty little town.

I like this site. It's the Loire Chateaux laid out on a clickable map. Unfortunately the detail is in French, but it'll give you a sense of what's around Montbazon.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jvddoel/loire/

I can't help much else as I've not driven south out of the Loire valley. On the way to the Dordogne there's Oradour-sur-Glane outside Limoges. It's a town left as it was after a massacre by the Germans in WWII. It's on my list to do.

www.oradour.info
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 08:06 AM

Depending on how far west you were planning on heading, we loved Cognac and Saintes on the way down to La Dordogne. Though Poitiers is a city set dramatically on hilly terrain with many sights, we found it to be too large for our taste and difficult to drive in.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help mpprh. I have bookmarked your Languedoc page, and will definitely be spending lots of time purusing all the great info - so much to see!!! Aigues Mortes, & Montpellier are on my list, but will for sure investigate Narbonne, etc. I have driven to Barcelona via the Costa Brava, and loved every moment of it. We have decided due to the lateness in the year, to start Spain in Madrid, then Andalucia, then drive up the coast to Barcelona - turn in our car, spend a few days, and then fly home from there. We have neighbours who lived in Andorra for 12 years, so they have been great for info on that little gem.

Great advice indytravel. As we are not big fans of Joan of Arc, we will skip Orleans altogether and head to Blois, then on to Montbazon on Day 2. Will definitely visit Amboise, as we are both da Vinci fans. Langeais is a new one, and I will check it out at the great site you recommended. As a Canadian, I do read a fair amount of French, so it will be a big help.

I am still looking for any info on places of interest - if there are any - between Tours and the Dordogne, so would appreciate any and all assistance.

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Langeais is very interesting, as it is still furnished--unlike some of the other uhinhabited châteaux--and has some costume displays. Nearly across from the castle is a very nice small restaurant next to the waterway.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Oops, forgot a thank you to klondike. No we will not be able to go that far west on this trip. I had wondered about Poitiers, so guess we can skip a stop there. We too prefer smaller places and roads when travelling by car.

The Loire page is terrific indytravel. Looking at the map, have decided not to take the hwy to Orleans, but go to Blois via Chateaudun and Vendome. Day 3 will be a blast with all the great chateaux around Tours to see - plus it just happens to be my birthday. Have had 2 in Paris, so this will be a very laidback celebration.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Glad you like the Loire page blowfish. I read a bit of French too which is why I kept the link. I like the way it lays out the chateaux.

You've picked a pleasant drive through Chateaudun & Vendome to Blois. As you come into Chateaudun from Chartres, the chateau is very imposing on a bluff to the right. You might stop and take a photo op. The chateau is nice, but very empty. It has a little chapel with a few very old statues in it. I'd just take a photo of Chateaudun from the outside and spend more time and have lunch in Vendome. It's a very pretty little town to walk around with crumbles of towers and the river.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 11:02 AM

blowfish:

I would definitely plan to stop inOradour-sur-Glane, just outside on Limoges, on your way from Tours to the Dordogne. Very sobering, but fascinating, experience.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM

I hate to bring up the obvious, but are your renting a car or doing a lease plan, like the Peugeot, Auto-France one? That is if my assumption is right that you are from outside the EU.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Indytravel, Thanks for your tips, which I have printed out. Don't want to miss the photo, or more importantly, the lunch in Vendome. What with the terrific food in France, that walk will come in handy. Really enjoyed the bookmark for Oradour-sur-Glane. I had never heard of the place, and as StCirq has seconded a visit there, we will definitely stop off.

StCirq, Terrific to hear from you. It doesn't take long to see that you are the Fodor's guru for travel in France. Before heading to bed (begrudgingly - where does the time go when one starts planning a trip), I had just copied your report of driving from Provence to the Dordogne. As it was a very full day, without too much time to snoop, I think maybe we should add a night somewhere along the route to Provence to visit Montolieu, Seassac, Revel, Paylauren, not to mention Graulhet, and whatever surprises us there. I have highlighted Albi as a place worth a visit from another Fodorite, but for the life of me, I cannot remember why. As far as Provence goes, any thoughts as to where we should base ourselves for the week - one spot or maybe two - in a town, or in the countryside??

Patrick, your assumption is correct. I am Canadian. I have looked at AutoEurope, Europcar, and the Peugeot site. From what I've read here, it seems like Peugeot is the way to go for this long a trip. Not really sure if I'm understanding correctly - one leases the car and then gets reimbursed?? Definitely time to dig deeper.
Au revoir & merci one and all.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:41 AM

Consider the buy/sell option for your entire 6 weeks of travel. A Renault Clio--my preferred size, but a Peugeot is just as acceptable--would cost you $1579 from October 1 to November 15 with a drop-off in Barcelona. Check the www.renaultusa.com site for more information. Once you have a base price (you might want a larger car) you can compare other travel options in terms of cost.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:02 AM

hi, blowfish:

I think you'll very much enjoy that ride from the Dordogne to Provence, and yes, split it up with an overnight. If I ever do that route again, and I probably will, I think I'll stop in either St-Férréol (lovely lakeside community) or Castelnaud-le-Montmiral.

As for Albi, I like that town a lot. The gardens of the Palais de Berbie on the banks of the town are fabulous, the "breadbox cathedral" is one heck of a powerful anti-heretic statement, and the pedestrian area of the town with its nooks and crannies and sunny squares just always seems so upbeat.

In Provence, I think a base near or in St-Rémy makes good sense. From there, it's possible to see so many things - Arles, Les Baux, the Camargue, Aix, Tarascon, the Pont du Gard, Nîmes...

Of course, there's the Lubéron region, too, which I know very little about. You might want to split your Provence time up between the Bouche-du-Rhône area and there.

Leaving tomorrow for the Dordogne and Provence and am SO ready to be back there!!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Michael, Fabulous info, merci beaucoup. Much easier site to work with than Peugeot. Will definitely rent from Renault. Drove one for years in Mexico City - great for parking in small spots, not to mention zipping in and out of traffic jams.

St Cirq, Welcome back to your favorite home. Hope you are settling in nicely, and having great spring weather. We sure are in BC, hence my absence during several days of non-stop gardening - or as I like to call it, free therapy! Will look today for hotels/b&b's around St-Ferreol or C-Le-M. St-Remy it is, as you have confirm what seems to be a popular choice for Provence wandering. Yes I have added some towns in the Luberon to do after Provence, as I read so many raves about the area. Then it's off to Spain via Carcassonne and Andorra.

Thanks again everyone for your assistance. Hopefully as I get time to continue putting this trip together, you might be kind enough to help me out again
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 02:07 PM

Blowfish,

You'll find the Lubéron centrally IN Provence. The region is huge; it extends practically from Nimes in the west to Menton in the east. The Lubéron is just one of the many areas of interest, made famous most recently by the Peter Mayle articles. I have to confess that for me a little time in the Lubéron goes a long way--I much prefer the Alpilles area, the coast from Cassis to Beaulieu, and the hill region around Nice. But time spent anywhere in Provence is always good and will leave you hungry for more.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:51 PM

Driving from the Loire to the Dordogne, you might be interested in the Futuroscope amusement park if it is open when you are there. Please do not cringe because I recommended an amusement park. It is a multimedia park and very interesting.

Also, in the Vendome, you can take a boat through the marshes in places. I have done it and it is interesting if you have the time.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:12 AM

The abbey church of St. Savin (30 km east of Poitiers) should be seen for its ceiling frescoes. Angles sur Angl&egrave;s is a <i>plus beau village de France</i>. Nontron is known for its knife production with distinctive wooden handles. If you know someone who would like a pocket knife, you can get one there, although the knives are found everywhere, just like the Laguiole (but they are cheaper). In the Dordogne, places of interest before you hit the main triangle are Bourdeilles, Brant&ocirc;me, P&eacute;rigueux and Hautefort. This last one has a nice museum of medicine whose entrance is also the tourist information office with well displayed brochures for the entire Dordogne.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks Lauren &amp; Michael for your replies. I can't highlight places on my Michelin fast enough.

Underhill: I would love to have more pointers on Cassis to Beaulieu. We will drive the coast to Monaco after Provence, so would most appreciate hearing about your favorite places.