Itinerary Help - Angers?

Search

Itinerary Help - Angers?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Help - Angers?

I'm going to Paris/Loire Valley next week. Staying first 2 nights in Paris, then training to Tours, where I'll pick up car for Amboise 3 nights, Chinon 2 nights, Saumur 2 nights. I had planned to go back to Paris for the last 2 nights, but am agonizing whether to go to Angers instead. As of now, I am thinking of leaving car in Saumur, training to Angers (early train) for the day, spend 1 night, then train to Paris for the last night. I've been to Paris lots, and certainly will go lots more - but may never go back to the Loire. My main decision is:<BR>stay in Angers that last day and night, too, and take early TGV direct to CDG. It would give me only 2 1/2 hours to check in. <BR>Hopefully, the train will be on time! <BR><BR>Is this cutting it too closely, and is Angers worth it for the 2 days?<BR>
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:52 AM

I would definitely not miss an opportunity to visit Angers if you're in the region. It was one of the highlights of our last trip to the Loire. The chateau and its tapestries are marvelous, as is Jean Lur&ccedil;at's Apocalypse tapestry inspired by them in the Jean Lur&ccedil;at museum. And Angers itself is a great city, large and bustling - it was the capital city of Anjou and home of the Plantagenets.<BR><BR>I'd be a bit nervous about getting to CDG from Angers the day of your flight, too, but trains in France do tend to run on time (if there's not a strike). Maybe instead of leaving the car in Saumur you could drive to Angers for a day - it's not far and it's a pretty drive.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:34 AM

I would definitely not miss an opportunity to visit Angers if you're in the region. It was one of the highlights of our last trip to the Loire. The chateau and its tapestries are marvelous, as is Jean Lur�at's Apocalypse tapestry inspired by them in the Jean Lur�at museum. And Angers itself is a great city, large and bustling - it was the capital city of Anjou and home of the Plantagenets.<BR><BR>I'd be a bit nervous about getting to CDG from Angers the day of your flight, too, but trains in France do tend to run on time (if there's not a strike). Maybe instead of leaving the car in Saumur you could drive to Angers for a day - it's not far and it's a pretty drive.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:21 AM

You�ve picked some lovely towns to see. Especially since you�ll mostly be in the western Loire valley where the tourists thin out the further you are from Paris. I was there in spring of 2001 and had a wonderful time. <BR><BR>I agree wholeheartedly with StCirq. Angers is a delightful town. I especially liked the David d�Angers museum. It�s an old church that had the roof replaced with glass. His sculptures inside are beautifully displayed in natural sunlight. If you like Cointreau the liquor is produced on the outskirts of town. I did not make time to take a tour. Near the castle is a maison du vin for wine tasting. It had helpful people and the ability to try a lot of great wines without having to drive anywhere.<BR><BR>Saumur is one of my favorite towns in France so far. The beautiful castle actually has stuff in it. It house two museums. I went a little south of town and saw one of the largest dolmens in France. It�s a prehistoric slab, stone structure. It�s oddly located as it�s now surrounded by civilization. I liked the tour of the mushroom caves too.<BR><BR>In Chinon make sure you walk across the bridge in the evening and get a view back at the castle and the town. I had a great meal a little to the east of the main bridge. Trois Boules d�Or or something to that effect.<BR><BR>In Amboise try to find the Enchanted House museum if you have time. It has several rooms that are over-stuffed with all kinds of antique toys, dolls, games, etc. The entrance looks like an abandoned courtyard, but I liked its quirkiness. <BR><BR>The train is a tad close. It would be more convenient if you�re flying out of Terminal 2 where the train station is. If departing out of Terminal 1 you have to take a shuttle bus over to it.<BR><BR>Hopefully BTilke will chime in. She was in Angers recently, loved and I believe is planning a return trip. I like to relive my experience through her postings. I�d love to return, but it�s the Central Massif for me this time. I leave Friday and am getting really excited. What a dilemma. How am I supposed to go back to my favorite places when every time I travel someplace new I find another favorite place? <BR>
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:11 AM

Totally agree that Angers is a great place. <BR><BR>May I suggest that you pick up the car in Paris and drive down to Angers first (via Chartres and Le Mans, 2 amazing gothic cathedrals)? Going upstream saves the most &quot;modern&quot; and grandiose castles (Chambord &amp; Chenonceau) for last. You can return your car at CDG without driving through Paris.<BR><BR>A GREAT hotel just outside Angers is the Chateau de Noirieux.<BR>www.chateaudenoirieux.com/ <BR><BR>BTW, is your flight home on a US carrier? I find they have much more intense security procedures. If you're flying on AF or say on Lufthansa via Frankfurt, 2.5 hours is plenty of time to make your flight at CDG.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Yes, we loved Angers; we spent two weeks there in October/November 2002 and have another trip coming up. We stayed at the Mercure, which for us was pleasant and practical (we traveled with a dog and two birds). In addition to the sights already mentioned, Angers has charming gardens, including the Jardin du Mail and the Jardin des Plantes. The Jardin des Plantes is one of the sights you should visit in Angers (our hotel room overlooked it). Angers is full of inexpensive restaurants and our favorite was La Ferme, which serves a very good four course dinner for about 17 euros per person; a bottle of good Chinon added only 13 euros to the bill.
Two more things we liked about Angers--it has the fewest smokers of any place we've been to in Europe AND people actually do clean up after their dogs. Must be something in the water.