Drive into Cadaques - How Dangerous Is It

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to head to Cadaques in September..... getting a bit scared about the descriptions of the road. Don't want to be yelling at my husband the whole time and otherwise stressful situation of travelling there. Is it dangerous if you take it slow? Other perspective would help in finalizing this part of our itinerary.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:23 AM

It is not dangerous at all. It is just a regular two-lane road which is winding through mild mountains. Quite scenic. I have driven it a dozen times.

In the morning, it might be congested if you are driving into Cadaques and also in the afternoon, when people leave the town. But when you are staying overnight in Cadaques, you are always driving in the opposite direction which is quick and easy.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Here is our trip report with a section about Cadaques:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...osta-brava.cfm
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:38 AM

Not scary at all. We are squeamish drivers and had no problem..it is just curvy so you have to go slowly. The end is worth the means!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:54 AM

Not dangerous, unless somebody is yelling at you the whole time. But if anybody in your party is prone to car sickness, it's not a drive you want to do after a big lunch.

In general, driving in the Costa Brava is not stressful at all.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 07:34 AM

No big deal at all.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM

I agree with what's been said. But you don't want to base in Cadaques and do day trips causing you to have to drive in and out repeatedly, that's for sure.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:42 AM

As everyone has told you, it's just a very winding road. It can be a pain, as in slow going, if you get behind a truck or if there's a speed demon behind you itching to pass, but it's not dangerous.

I happen to agree with Julie-I don't enjoy using it as a base for day trips because of the drive just being rather tedious in and out. I would recommend Cadaqués for someone who wants to stay put and do some hiking around Cabo Creus or to engage in water sports (kayaking, diving).

Penelope Casas in her book says of Cadaqués
"Access is not easy, but nonetheless it has become very popular with an offbeat, somewhat bohemian European crowd....don't come for the beaches; they are poor and few."

Beaches are very pebbly-not places to lie around and sunbathe comfortably. Best to have a pool for that.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM

I agree that Cadaques is definitely not a base for day tripping, and it is best to spend nights there. But you can very much enjoy sunbathing on the beach and swimming, as there are no end of places that sell cheap foam beach mats and water shoes. I live on one of the Med's pebble beaches in Italy, and I would never swim in a pool over swimming in the med, or suntan on concrete next to chlorine when I could my toes and nose by the Med.

Penelope Casas should stick to tapas recipes (which she does well).
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Here's a picture of people enjoying the beach in Cadaques (right outside the hotel Playa Sol, which has fun balconies):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es_stiched.JPG

and another

http://www.tomiandmichael.com/galler...adaques-11.jpg

It's always hard to know other people's sensibilities and demands, but I found being on and in the water in Cadaques just fine. But I never go to resorts and I don't swim in pools anymore.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much - I think the above descriptions are not as dramatic as some I found in guidebooks so I feel better about that... happy to take it slow but not happy to have life flashing before my eyes by the minute.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:57 AM

I'm not going to keep posting a trillion pictures of people enjoying the beach in Cadaques, but here's one whole bunch of them

http://images.google.com/images?clie...N&hl=en&tab=wi

and here's a youtube video from the cadaques beach surf club:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3PgFcjJHkM

I can't imagine a pool beats it.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Margaret:

The above consensus should ease your fears. We didn't mind the drive at all...but we did stay at The Playa Sol for three nights and enjoyed the town very much. As Zeppole says, the views back toward the white town and of the calm bay from the hotels balconies is superb....don't miss the Dali House...about a ten minute drive to Port Ligat..be sure to have your hotel make definitive time reservations for you...the house only allows a set number of people in at a time..it was 8 when we were there a few years ago. Personally, I thnk the house is far more intriguing than the Dali Museum in Figueres. Photo ops galore, inside and outside!

As for the driving question, we came down from Coillure and opted for the coast road...now that can be a thrill-a-minute experience!...so by comparison, the drive west out of Cadaques is like the Salt Lake "flats" straight-a-way.

We also found that The Casa Anita (hpe it's still there) was a fun restaurant...the host will regoale you with stories...you'll sit family-style and join in the bota-swigging. Excellent food offerings...and quite reasonable. I don't remember the cost, and that's a good thing..because I usually recall only if it was stratospheric for my wallet.

You just may miss the summer crowds in September...we were there in October and the weather was ultra beautiful, and the streets were near empty, as were the beaches.

Enjoy your trip..

stu t.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Question for Tower ?? I guess we are following in your "tire track", doing the same jaunt in October from Colliure to Cadaques.

A couple of queries: You said the streets of Cadaques were empty, as in broing ghost town, or just not mobbed with tourists? Casa Anita - have read about it and asked my B&B to make a reservation, and they said it would not be necessary at that time of year. True? Do any of the staff at the restaurant speak English? What time of the day did you dine? Any special recomendations? What is bota--swigging? Are there any sailing excursions to get a view from offshore? Guess that's more than a couple questions.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Hi tower,
I love your comparison of the drive down from Collioure via the coastal hair pin road to the drive west of Cadaqués. It's spot on! We've done both.

Bota swinging, as in bota (wine skin) bags, no?
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Forgot!

CriscoO

See www.cadaquesrentals.com/main%20rentals.htm
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 04:53 PM

Thanks to all. I'm ready to travel the coastal road, but hubbey will drive. Maribel thanks for the rental site.(I finally found your website too. Awesome.) A bit concerned the winds could really kick up in October though. We are spending only one day in Cadaques, mainly to see the Dali House, sail, eat at Anita's, and try some bota swigging. Must be living under a rock, I never heard that term, but now understand it is the goatskin bags that have been used for eons. I understand the trip out to Figures isn't much better (very curvey), but we'll have a fee days in Girona to recuperate.
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM

Crisco...just take it slow from Colliure to Cadaques..the scenery is quite beautiful..and there are places to stop...bota swigging at Casa Anita is fun...probably el cheapo house vino, but after a few swigs who cares anymore? English speaking should not be any problem at Anitas...everyone seemed to be speaking English when we were there. The shrimp in garlic sauce was superb..Cadaques was just very pleasant without the crowds..plenty to see..and IMO the Dali House is worth it all. many photo ops, outside as well as inside.
Enjoy!!

Stu Tower