Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Worth the 6 Hour Drive from San Jose to Four Seasons??

Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we arrive in San Jose we can get a flight( if we don't miss the connection) to a town 45-50 minutes from the Four Seasons. That's a long drive after a 4 hour flight. Is it worth it? That would mean staying in San Jose for the afternoon and evening and start out at 8 AM or so and with stops get to the resort at 3:00-4:00. Opinions, Please. Thanks.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 03:12 PM

The town you are referring to is Liberia. The drive to 4S from SJO will take you about 5 hours. It hasn't ever taken us 6 hours to get over there.
Still a long drive, I know. Here is what you might think about. . .how much are you interested in seeing the country? Are you wanting just to get to the Four Seasons and that is your primary goal? If so, then you might want to book the domestic flight from SJO to Liberia--or fly into Liberia in the first place. A lot of people enjoy the drive because it goes through the mountains and is one of many gorgeous drives in Costa Rica. Personally, we've always enjoyed this, but we go to experience as much of the country and its people as we can. So much depends on the individual and his/her idea of spending time in Costa Rica.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:30 AM

Shillmac made some good points about just flying into Liberia. I am curious though about driving through the mountains. Shillmac I would love to find out how you did that for future trips up there. I have only gotten to drive through some large hills. My topo map shows some higher elevations on the Nicoya, is that how you go? I know you can see some to the east on the way up the Interamerican. Guanacaste has a lot of cattle farms, definitely makes the driving interesting when they are moving the cattle along the roads . It does get prettier as you approach some of the coastal areas. Up near the Nicaragua border there are some lovely views up higher.
StanKase, 4S is relatively new and would love to hear a review when you get back.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

You will get a report on Four Seasons on thread but it is 3 months away.
I am not convinced on driving considering the hotel is 45-60 minutes away from good places to eat.
I would like to hear more. The rate, by the way in Nov.is $330 US for Ocien View room with full American breafast or the breafast buffet.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:58 PM

You could fly up there and pick up a car in Liberia rather than drive all the way. The driving is much easier up there away from the city. Not much traffic compared to the central valley. Roads are rough just about anywhere. I love the saying that you can tell when a tico is drunk...he is driving straight (not dodging the pot holes)LOL. Another alternative is just hire a taxi driver when you want to get away. Most tours should you decide to go on any will pick you up at your hotel.
Sounds like a really good deal on the hotel price. It should be beautiful up there at that time.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:18 PM

LOL. . .clarification, Jessie. I was referring to the drive from San Jose to Liberia rather than from Liberia to the Four Seasons!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:42 PM

StanKase

Is your rate of $330.00 with breakfast a per night( or per day ) rate .?
Thanks
Percy

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Percy; the $330 is per day but if it is like other Four Seasons lunch will be $25-$30 and dinner with a moderate priced bottle of Chilian wine could run $100 for 2.
Hope this helps.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Shillmac, I think we were both referring to the same trip. I know the road goes along side of the mountains in areas to get to Liberia from San Jose but I just didn't remember actually going through any. It has been a couple of years so it could be that I was thinking of another trip? I mostly remember all the cattle on the roads the last time we drove up there.