Drive From Italy to Croatia

Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive From Italy to Croatia

A friend and I plan are planning a trip to Italy and Croatia during the last week of April this year. A bit of background: (i) We are in our twenties (ii) both single (iii) I speak Italian and my friend speaks Croatian.
From Pescara, Italy (Eastern Italy on Adriatic) we plan on driving to Split, Croatia. We want to make some stops on the way, so we are driving around the Adriatic Sea, rather than taking a ferry. I have not spent any time in North Eastern Italy, nor Croatia so any suggestions are welcome. We want to spend 2 days in Split, so we have about 4 days to make the trip. Basically, I would like to drop in on a few cities to get the culture or grab a good meal. What cities should visit for a few hours, and what cities should we stay overnight? What types of things should we do if our goal is to get the culture, see the sights, eat well and go out at night? Finally, any suggestions on cheap car rentals?
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Hi mattran, I am a bit confused about the total days of your trip. Do you have a total of 4 days to drive from Pescara (a place I love) to Crotia including 2 days in Crotia?

And your question about about dropping in on a few cities for culture and a good meal. Do you mean somewhere in NE Italy or just in Crotia?

If you mean in NE Italy a city I think would be great to stop in is Ravenna. That is where Dante is buried. Ravenna is famous for their mosaics. The Piazza Del Popolo is a great place to settle in for a little bit and have a cold drink and something to eat. The gathering place of Ravenna.

Ravenna would be right on your way - if you do stop there enjoy!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly thanks for the reply. I have 10 days total for this trip, my plans right now are to stay in Rome for 3 days, Pescara 1 day. That leaves 6 days of "flexible travel time". Of those 6 days we would like to visit Split for 2 days. So that leaves about 4 days of unplanned travel time. I'm open to visiting places in both Italy and Croatia.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 08:13 PM

Hi mattran, so you will be in Rome first. Are you driving or training to Pescara. Still a bit confused. But have had a stressful week so maybe it is me! Anyway, how are you getting from Rome to Pescara?
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

In the past I have taken a train, bus and driven. I find the roads are the easiest way to get to Pescara from Rome. So I will probably drive from Rome to Pescara.
Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 04:07 PM

mattran, my husband always drove in Italy. I would do that to if I were you. BTW, if you like fish try the fish restaurant on the beach in Pescara. I am sure it is still there as a woman I know ate there a couple of years ago (it has been some time since I was in Pescara). The restaurant is on the beach across the street from the Hotel Carlton.