Bullfights - When/Where to buy tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to travel to Malaga in April with my family. We will be there during the April Fair in Seville. I thought we could make a day trip or perhaps an overnight for some of the festivities. I know my father will want to see a bullfight while we're there. I'll busy myself and my 8 year old with some other activity.

I've seen some tickets on sale online for fights in other cities even farther out than April, but no mention of bullfights in Seville during the fair. Is it too soon to get tickets? Does anyone know if they go on sale in advance? Where would I look at buying them?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Please consider boycotting these bloodbaths that are the height of animal abuse! Or maybe go and see the bull being first tormented with the picks stuck in him and weakened until he slumps and the sword is thrust through his head. an agonizing slow death that someday will be banned in civilized countries.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

I understand your feelings, PalQ. Really. I would *never* personally go to one of these events. But my father will want to. He sees it as cultural and wants to witness one for himself. We've never been to Spain though Dad's mother is from there. We know well what happnes in the bullring. Ironically, we carry the surname of Toro.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:20 AM
rex

If you have the chance to see a bullfight in Lisbon - - whether you go to one in Spain ever or not - - then be prepared for a real treat of great pageantry and horsemanship. And no bull-killing - - in fact, no skin ever broken or blood spilled. The bullfight ends when the toreador (not <i>matador</i>, fronm the verb <i>matar</i>, to kill) subdues the bull with his bare hands on the bull's horns (and the assistance of six other toreadors who rush into either side if the bull's neck to stabiulize the situation).

Most enjoyable, and possibly, more culturally &quot;enlightened&quot; for some who have no interest in the bullfights of Spain.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Before getting all excited, read about what happens in your average American and European meat butchering facility. Not pretty. Better yet, read Schlosser's FAST FOOD NATION for a highly readable explanation.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Well, I've never been to Spain (either), but I kinda like the music . . .

Personally, I'm against bullfighting for sport. While I eat meat, I don't think we need to torture the poor animal first. HOWEVER, if that's what your father really wants to do, I think the most famous bullring in Seville is the &quot;Maestranza Bullring.&quot; Try a Google search, and you should at least come up with a telephone number or e-mail contact for tickets.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Redhead68: sorry for hijacking youyr original question HOW TO GET TICKETS FOR SEVILLE FIESTA?
It's just that these things seem so barbarian - i admit i went to one to see the pageantry and vowing to never go again. Actually i went to one in Malaga and the place was half empty and we bought at gate.
BACK TO ORIGINAL QUESTION and not a forum on ethics of bullfighting!
BACK TO QUESTION
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Because it is the April feria, the best tickets are already spoken for. These are the same as season tickets to the world series or the super bowl, but there will be a limited number of tickets available from the official ticket sellers on the day of each bullfight. The official ticket sellers can be found in small booths, kiosks, set up on the streets around the Plaza de Toros, the bullring. You shouldn’t have any trouble find them. There are also Gypsies working the scene. They have some good tickets, but be aware that scalping is illegal and the police may be watching. The tickets should cost from around 40 euros each to more then 200 euros each, depending on the cartel (the bulls and the matadors).
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Rex, thanks for that tip! Wonder how long it takes to get to Lisbon from Malaga?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:35 PM

We went to the Bullfights during La Feria and the desk clerk at the hotel we stayed at got the tickets for us. They were good seats and not terribly expensive. If you have your hotel locked in, give them a call and see if they can't take care of it for you.

The bullfights are an incredible experience and not to be missed when in Spain. I'm not sure I would go again but have no regrets about having been. We loved it. Try to read up on it a bit before you go so you'll know what's going on

Boys run between the seats selling scotch and cigars. Have that too while you're at it.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert and Offwego!

I won't be seeing a bullfight myself. I don't think I could stomach it, plus I'll have an 8 year old with me and I won't subject her to that!

But thanks for the tips on where to find the tickets for the members of my party that will be going.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM
rex

Well, it's a long hard day's drive, but you could do it in one day. I'd have to know more about the overall itinerary before I could recommend how/whether it might fit into your plans.

And last time I was there, Lisbon bulfights were Thursday nights only.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:44 PM

If he's lucky your father will not only get to witness the barbarism of the bull being tortured, but also get to see the picadors' poor horses being gored, then patched up and sent back into the arena.

Nice. A great thing to support by attending.
Cultural? Yeah. So was bear-baiting.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 03:57 PM

redhead, why don't you let your father make his own arrangements for this event? It sounds like the idea sickens you as much as it does many of us, and I understand that your father wants to see it anyway, but why do you need to be part of it? Just a thought...
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Rex, there's really no itinerary in place yet. All I have is two weeks in a vacation rental in Malaga. Thought we could do a day trip or an overnight or two to some of the attractions. But overall it's going to be pretty low key. My parents are 70 year old so we won't be on the move all that much.

Yes, I understand that this is a barbaric practice. I would never go to one of these events, but I grew up with paintings of bullfights on the walls of my home. My father is Spanish, maybe he feels like he's missed something. I don't know. It looks like he'll probably buy his own ticket anyway, since it seems they won't be available in advance.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:07 PM

&lt; If he's lucky your father will not only get to witness the barbarism of the bull being tortured, but also get to see the picadors' poor horses being gored, then patched up and sent back into the arena.&gt;

It's amazing how little some people actually know about something they berate so easily. Too bad we are all not so insightful when it comes to acts of true barbarism.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:12 PM

What's &quot;amazing&quot; is when people assume someone is NOT speaking from experience. I am. And to me it was barbaric.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:29 PM

I went to a bullfight in southern France about 15 years ago. We were staying in Nimes but I can't recall the nearby city where we saw the spectacle. It is not barbaric in my opinion, and it is not a slam dunk for the matador. It is a contest and the crowd really gets into it. We bought tickets at the gate. I would go again.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:10 PM

To continue this ridiculous conversation with an obvious PETA member, I don't know where you acquired your vast knowledge on the art of bullfighting, but it has been a number of years since a horse has been gored by a bull in a corrida. I have to admit that there was a time when the horses use by the picadors were nags on their last legs, doped up and ready for the glue factory, but Kevlar armor was adapted some time ago for the horses, which in many cases are owned by the bullrings themselves. They are very well trained to do their job, and well taken care of the owners of the bullrings. This may or may not be the case in South America, but based on the cost of replacing a well trained animal, I suspect it is in most cases. Matadors, on the other hand, are not as well regarded in South America as they are in Spain, France and Mexico.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 12:46 AM

Blahhhh to bullfighting, cockfighting, dog fighting and bear bating. Tourists going to these events only help support it. Shall we mention foie gras, bile bleeding etc. Shameful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -