drive from dubrovnik to split- scenic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are trying to decide ferry or drive/cat from dubrovnik to hvar town. also,do the catamarans run pretty much all day from split to hvar?
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Have driven both ways several times over the years, as recently as last spring. Well-engineered Adriatic Highway, gorgeous views every miles, and picturesque little towns to drop on...some like Makarska and Omis are certainly worth stopping for, fine for lunch. It's about a four hour drive, comfortably. Ferries from Split to Hvar run several times every day.
Enjoy! Where are you staying in Dub and Split?
Stu T.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:39 PM

I agree with everything Tower has said re driving from Dub to Split, have driven it many, many times. Its a very good road with spectacular scenery especially around the Makarska Riveria, Biokovo Mountain range on one side and the gorgeous blue Adriatic on the other, olive groves and small villages worth a stop to stretch the legs. Podgora is beautiful, you can't miss it, as you approach there is a white monument on the hillside (memorial from WW2), Makarska is a bigger busier town with lots of cafes etc, the road passes right through the middle of Omis and if you can find a parking place its certainly worth a look.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:55 PM

If one has a car, is it a good idea to take the Drevenik-Sucuraj ferry then drive across Hvar Island to Hvar town? It is a fairly short ferry ride (25 min) and less expensive. We are considering it. Downside potential? Perhaps missing some of the lovely scenery described? Is the drive along the island a little too hair raising? I am not too sure about rental cars on the ferry either - not sure the rental company always allows it.

Just wanted to throw this in the pot as we are considering the above options also.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:18 AM
Syl

Cheesehead, good question.Where do you pick up the Drev-Suc ferry, from Split? Schedules? We also are going with a rental car & never heard that the rental companies don't allow cars on ferries.Which rental company are you using & price ? Is it an automatic? We're picking it up in Slovenia & dropping it off in Croatia.Traveltimeny doesn't charge drop off charges & price is $60 daily incl insur.
Tower & Patricia, we plan on driving from Split to Dub 3rd week in Sept.Because we'll be on the coastal side & we understand it's a 2 lane highway, how valid are my husband's fears of cliff driving,hairpin turns for 4 hours ?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:53 AM
Syl

HappyCheesehead,
Thanks to you, I just researched the Drv-Suc ferry route.It is, indeed much cheaper & makes a lot more sense for us because we also want to see Makarska.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM

There is a new road from Jelsa to Hvar that goes through the mountain and along the coastline. The old road goes along the spine of the mountain - great views but even on a scooter there were moments I got a bit anxious. I went to a restaurant east of Jelsa - the road is narrower, similar to the old road (mentioned above) but not as high (though the views are great also) - don't expect to be speeding or be in a rush.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:16 AM

Hi Syl:

If you are simply driving from Split to Dubrovnik, I don't think you would need the D-S ferry, would you? It transfers people and cars from the mainland to the island of Hvar. I would think that ferry would mainly be used for folks going from Hvar to Dubrovnik or vice versa?

I was looking at auto rental through Kemwel and noticed a line about not taking the car on a ferry. I called them and was advised I would need permission to do so. That is as far as I have gotten with the car rental right now.

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 03:17 PM
Syl

HappyCheesehead,
-Kemwel doesn't allow rental in one country (Slovenia) & drop off in another.
-After Plitvice-Split route we are going to Hvar for 3 nights.We also want to see Makarska, so I thought your idea of p/u the ferry to Hvar from Drvenik is a great idea.However, I'm afraid of the cliffside roads from Sucuraj west.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:20 PM

Several years ago we hopped the ferrries from Split south and then drove back from Dubrovnik. Maybe it was because the islands are so beautiful, but this drive did not inspire me. We did detour into Bosnia and Sarajevo which I would highly recommend --- not for the beauty although there was some of that --- but for the history and to see the lingerly horror of the war. Very moving.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Cheesehead-- We drove across Hvar from Hvar town to Sucaraj in Oct. 2004. I posted a trip report about the trip, including this drive, approx. 2/05. If your husband is uncomfortable with heights, perhaps you should think twice about driving it from Sucaraj westward. From Sucaraj to Jelsa, the road is narrow, always wide enough for two cars to meet but with little room to spare. Driving westward, the passenger is on the drop-off side of the road. Sometimes the drop-off may be only 6 feet =/- but for portions it will be several hundred feet with no guardrail, wall or even a curb separating you from the edge. It is more comfortable driving west to east because you are on the up-hill side of the road, separated from the drop-off by the lane for oncoming traffic.

Having said that, it is a pretty drive, just not one with the same expansive seaviews you will get on the mainland coastal road. One interesting thing is the miles and miles of stone walls covering most of the hillsides, even precipitous ones, I understand constructed to shelter grape vines, most of which were killed by a blight in the early 20th century. The walls are an impressive display, particularly when you try to imagine the time and energy spent constructing them, as well as the effort which was required to tend and harvest the vines on the steep hillsides.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 07:58 PM

Syl...tell DH that the drive is much more mild than he has been led to believe....the road is two land and occasionally three and four lane. Traffic is not too heavy at all...it is not at all hairraising, and there are plenty of places to pull over and admire the scenery...knockout scenery at that. Go to it...you don't have top drive very fast...not necessary...you can still make Split to Dub in 4 hours. Enjoy! It is truly one of the most scenic roads in the world.
StuT.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 08:45 PM

I am so torn - I like that the drive from Dubrovnik to Hvar will be shorter and cheaper if I take the short ferry at Drevenik. I can even deal with the somewhat scary ride across the island(by the way dcdee - that for reminding me of your trip report!)but I do not want to miss any of the Dub to Split drive - it sounds exactly like what we love.

BTW dcdee - was the road across Hvar twisty and you could not see the oncoming cars? I don't worry about the height as much as the line of sight. I would not think it would be a very busy road.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:30 PM

HC-- As I recall, the sightlines were fine. There was very little traffic. We drove it on a Sunday but I doubt that there is much traffic any day for the stretch of road between Jelsa and Sucaraj. There is very little sign of habitation except an occasional small village.