dresses to pack for a 6 month stay in Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 22,feminine and I'll be heading to Spain (Cordoba) for my studies for 6 months, starting this September.
It would be really helpful if i get tips and ideas abt what dresses to pack/purchase.
I really don't have any idea as to what college girls wear in Spain!
Posts on what not to wear will also be appreciated
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 01:37 AM

If you already have lots of nice dresses, bring some of them. Otherwise, wouldn't it be more fun to save up the money and buy the dresses in Spain? Then you wouldn't have to drag so much luggage with you. And if you want to keep the dresses at the end of your studies it is usually much easier to send them by mail to your permanent home.

I've heard Spain doesn't usually get extreme cold weather, but you may need to get at least some clothes that are suitable for winter. Of course, you can buy those in Spain, too. Maybe wait until it starts getting cold, to make sure you actually need them.

If you're from the US I would also advise you to NOT bring a hairdryer. Much better to buy one in Spain that will work there without converters and adapters and accidental fires.

If there are any medicines you absolutely must have you should find out what their names are in Spanish so you can get refills there. You may also need documentation from a doctor if the medicines aren't ordinary over-the-counter ones.

Are you staying in a dorm room or an apartment? Will you have access to a kitchen? Try to find out what is and what isn't included. And remember that Spain is a civilized country with lots of shops. It's not a total disaster if you forget to bring something (well, forgetting the passport and tickets may be a problem).

Good luck!
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 01:51 AM

I think you'll find the kids here dress far more casually than you are imagining. Party dresses will be saved for a wedding, special celebration out.. but not for everyday weekends outings with friends. jeans and tops are fine, as are fun summer dresses. Bring a shawl for cool evenings.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 02:11 AM

I would dress similarly to how you dress at home- there are many students (both Spanish and foreign) and you don't need to change your normal wardrobe to fit in. College students in Spain are casual and dress up slightly to go out, but no more than what you would do in the U.S. They just might not wear pajamas to the dining hall Really, I'd just bring your normal clothes, and definitely include some winter things because it does get chilly in Cordoba. Have fun!
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Sosuthern Spain is considerabely warmer thanthe rest of europe - in midwinte the highs are often in the 50s or a smuch as 60. It is possible to get cooler weather in the mountains (some places even have skiing) but it's not winter as we know it inthe northern US.

Students dress as they do in the US - jeans and everyday tops, jeans and nicer tops and one or two nicer outfits if they are goint somewhere special. One difference is hoes - the don;t reallty focus on giant white clown sneakers althouh they will wear color/cute sneakers as well as flats (and of course giant spike heels for special evening out).
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Bring the dresses you love to wear that will be appropriate for changes in the seasons. It sounds as though you probably have a good sense of fashion or you wouldn't be asking.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 04:33 PM

DD is in Salamanca right now finishing a year at school...Tights, boots, jeans, vests, anorak, Get your boots there. Google Zara to see styles.. casual, as mentioned,and with the tights.. mini skirts. I was there 2 times and was inpressed by the nature of the student garb. Chic, not sloppy, layered. But Salamanca is a university town and it may be different in Cordoba. You seem to be savvy and will do just fine. As stated don't take too much and get somethings there.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

anyegr: Thanks Yeah...packing less and purchasing wen in need is a pretty gud idea ( i heard Spain has lots of nice shops wer chic clothes can be bought at affordable prices)

And thanks fr reminding abt the medicines !! I totally forgot abt those.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

lincasonova : thanks for your posts

I'll take my normal summer wears then
Shawl noted.
I was wondering if jean wud be little too warm for the summer..??
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Auntiemimi : haha..thank god u mentioned it...ill make sure i don't appear in pyjamas and embarrass myself ( i'm really gud at making a fool out of myself) thanks fr ur tips..
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler : 50 and 60 ??!! phew!! tats hot
yeah...ill make sure to pack nice comfy shoes and heels
(i do love my white sneakers though)
Thank you.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

LSky : I try my best to dress good I just didnt wanna stand out like a tourist.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

amer_can: thanks a lot Zara is fabulous. got a nice idea of their styles.
What about shorts? will it look too odd?
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:26 AM

raincloud, the moment you speak to anyone (even speaking Spanish) it will be apparent, "you aren't from around here." That's never a problem when one is good natured, good mannered and dressed well.

That doesn't mean you have to be perfect neat, clean and comfortable in your own clothes. That is the problem, imo, when people buy clothes for a vacation; they may not suit them well. I like to wear clothes I already love and feel good in for new situations. It's one less thing to think about.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 10:27 AM

Other than Zara, check out Mango, Desigual, Bershka, Pull & Bear, Sfera, Stradivarius, as well the Queen of Cheap & Trendy - H&M.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM

Thanks for completing the list that I didn't do for this raincloud gal..Don't know why as I hit them all when visiting Salamanca.. And all are worth a look see!!! but i do stress boots being bought there as that is where the best leather ones seem to be made and the prices are very good..
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Cool....I'll make sure ill visit every one of them.