Dress Code in Churches??

Search

Dress Code in Churches??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dress Code in Churches??

I have read in several places that dress codes are enforced for women in many Italian churches? I will be in Italy the first two weeks in July, how serious is this? I try to adapt to local culture and stand out as little as possible when I am in Europe, are women in knee length shorts or skirts really turned away or considered rude? I plan on carrying a shawl to cover my shoulders in my day bag. What about shoes? I think I will be flip flopping my way through the country…
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM

If you dress as you plan it will be okay.

But think about you flip-flops - not because of the churches but because of rough paths.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM

You may be turned away from churches in knee-length shorts. Knee-length skirts should be ok, but if you want to be absolutely certain of getting inside wear pants or a skirt that definitely hits below the middle of the knee.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:38 PM

The churches in Florence actually had these paper poncho things that they gave to folks who were not in "dress code." Didn't see that in Rome.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM

If you are a Roman Catholic, you should dress as well for Mass (Catholics are taught that God is present at the Altar) as you would for a state dinner with the Queen of the United Kingdom or the president of the United States. Sadly, the American bishops have little self-respect so that it is quite common for people to dress in shorts, t-shirts, short skirts, blue jeans as they assist in a Mass for their Lord. Italy's bishops and clergymen have a little more self-respect than their American counterparts so one would be wise to wear blouses or shirts that cover the shoulders, wear skirts that are not above the knees, and never wear short pants.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:21 PM

what rubbish, not with the state dinner dress again. Are you Catholic, GeorgeW? I was raised Catholic, and they believe that God is everywhere, as do all religions I know of. Even fervent Catholics don't dress for mass as for state dinners. Have you ever been to a state dinner? I bet not. None of these things makes any sense, of course, but appropriate dress has to do with the occasion and ceremony, not whether you think God is present or not. Official Catholic doctrine:
<<it is of faith that God is present by His Essence everywhere and in all things by reason of His Immensity.>>

In any case, I don't think the OP was talking about going to mass, just to view churches as a tourist. It's the rules, what can you do. The reasons why a kneelength skirt is ok but kneelength shorts are not isn't clear to me, but they get to set the rules. Some parishes in the US allow people in to worship in shorts, I've seen that (like in Florida). Now I would never go to a worship service in shorts, but I don't see anything wrong with looking at a church that way. But the owners get to decide.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Hi ragingregan, to be safe you might want to wear capris on the days you will be visiting churches in Italy. I tend to wear skirts, especially in hot weather as I find them cooler but I know a lot of women don't seem to like to wear skirts.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM

I can't comment about Mass in the USA, but to answer the original question, YES, women in knee-length shorts or tank tops are frequently turned away at Italian churches. I've seen it happen more than once. Wear capri pants or a skirt that covers your knees and cover your shoulders.

Some churches in Venice will give you a shawl to wear around your shoulders if you have a tank top on, but some won't (particularly in smaller cities). So don't wear a tank top or halter and don't wear shorts if you want to visit churches.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM

The worse dresser I ever saw at Mass in CA was at Mass in the small city I use to live in. One summer Sunday a fellow went up to Communion wearing an overall type outfit with midthigh shorts. He did not even have a Tshirt on. Not a pretty sight, lol. I heard afterwards the priest had a talk with the usher's about unacceptable clothing but don't know if that actually happen, but imagine it did.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM

WWJD?
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:31 PM

missypie, he'd probably be nice to all the people critizing him for wearing robes and sandals.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM

It's an admittedly odd thing to visit a church as a tourist. I had mixed emotions about the churches in Florences charging admission to enter. One one hand, I AM a tourist, so why not pay to see their art like I pay at musuems? On the other hand, it's a church, and heck, if they don't charge to enter St. Peter's in Rome, why should they charge for this one? One tries to speak softly and respectfully...while reading aloud from a Rick Steves guide book....Yes, one should dress modestly when visiting a church...but shouldn't a church be accepting to all? I really feel for the people who try to worship while tourists are parading around.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Boy is it difficult to post today!

Anyway, I was just going to say it is not just the Roman Catholic's that have dress codes.

And don't forget that old saying "When in Rome...".
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:15 PM

"Yes, one should dress modestly when visiting a church...but shouldn't a church be accepting to all?"

Yes, a church should be accepting to all. I read a semi-interestng book recently where the author began her spiritual journey by going into a church because it was raining and she was out running. If those people had turned her away she may not have even started her research for the book.
So it's a good thing to keep the judgements at bay and not miss out on someone great because of how they are dressed. We seldom really know the whole story, do we? The best we can hope for is that our own preconcieved notions don't blind us when we're busy walking someone else's path.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM

I forgot to add...
I still think it's a good thing to dress appropriately if you know ahead of time.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! I see nothing wrong with longer shorts at a church but I dont want to offend