Draft itinerary from London to Scotland - need feedback, criticism ok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 14 yr. old daughter and I arrive in London late on July 22, leaving August 4. We've been to London before, and want to try to get to Scotland. What do others think of this? Too much driving? Focus on the wrong things? Any suggestions? Thanks!

3 nights in London (the first night we will get in late), then take the train to York
1 night in York, take the train to Newcastle
2 nights exploring Hadrian's Wall (via the bus?), take the train to Edinburgh
3 nights in Edinburgh, go to airport and rent a car
1 night north (maybe St. Andrew's?)
1 night near Inverness
2 nights on Skye
1 night near Fort William
Drive to Edinburgh airport, turn in car, fly to London for a late day flight to the US
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The first nine nights look fine-- but then it falls apart a bit. After London you spend 6 nights for York/Northumberland/Edinburgh - all doable. Then you want to cover half of Scotland in 5 nights. You go from semi-leisurely - to really hectic.

What is set in stone? Just the flights in/out of London -- or also the flight down from EDI?

If you've been to London and it isn't a huge priority - What I might do is book an LHR hotel for your arrival night,

• Fly up to EDI the next morning. Spend 2 nights in Edinburgh.

• Pick up a car and do a 7 night loop touring the Highlands/Skye and down to Carlisle/west end of the Wall.

• Stay 2 nights in/near Haltwhistle for the Wall then down to York.

• Turn in the car and stay one night. Train to London

• Stay one night in London - fly home.

Even better would be to fly from LHR to Inverness on morning 2 and pick up your car there. The only reason I mentioned flying to EDI is because one doesn't need a car in the city so you could pick up your car after 2 night there. But if you did fly up to Inverness you could do a sort of linear route I'ness > Skye > Central Highland/Trossachs > Edinburgh > Hadrian's Wall > York > Train to London -- you could net an extra night or two in London.

1 night LHR
2 nights near Inverness
2 nights Skye
1 night Trossachs - see Glencoe enroute
2 nights Edinburgh
2 nights Northumberland
1 night York, train to London
3 nights London, fly home. (or 2 nights York/2 nights London)
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, but it is possible to drop the car off somewhere else, if I pick it up in Inverness? Is there an extra cost associated with that? Other than that, I like your thoughts.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM

"<i>Thanks, but it is possible to drop the car off somewhere else, if I pick it up in Inverness? Is there an extra cost associated with that?</i>"

Yes there are national rental agencies in Inverness so 1-way rentals are possible. W/ scores of car rentals in the UK over the last 30 years -- I've had a drop off fee exactly once, and that was special case. I'd start out getting a quote from autoeurope.com (a broker that handles several different agencies) and plug in various pick up/drop off locations. Some places may be cheaper than others because of which companies serve it -- but not because of drop off fees.

But even if there was a drop off fee, looping back to a starting point just eats up a lot of time on such a short trip.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 10:59 PM

one slight problem - no flights to Inverness from Heathrow. OP will have to transfer to Gatwick by coach for a flight north.

But I'd agree with the general thrust of making the route more linear
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

One last question: In other similar posts, someone mentioned that they are going to use a company called Rabbies to transport them around the Scottish isles and highlands. Does anyone have thoughts on whether or not this is better than just driving on one's own? We will be only 2 people, myself and my daughter, and I wonder how easy it is to get lost in the wilds of Scotland. The fees associated with Rabbie's don't seem that high, when compared to just renting the car. Thoughts? I love the book idea and will definitely get a copy!
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:54 AM

if you can read a map or rent a GPS w/ the car you can't get terribly lost (or if you do - great there is something wonderful around nearly every turn in the road)

Rabbies is a well thought of tour company -- so if you are "into" guided tours, they'd be absolutely fine. But the day trips are quite rushed and the multi-day ones might be tough on a 14 yo since there'd be few if anyone under maybe 35 (probably older) and the morning will start very early.

If one of their tours fits exactly what you want to see/do, do consider it. But you can create your own itinerary quite easily.