Need suggestions for 5-6 nights from Scotland to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking the train from London to Edinburgh in May and the original plan was to train both ways, but DH wants to see Hadrians Wall.
May 9,2009
1) 3 nights in London then train to Edinburgh
2) 3 nights in Edinburgh then drive to Sterling Castle and then
3) 2 nights in Callander and sightsee area and then start drive back to London,
4) We have 7 nights left before we fly out on 5-24-09.

I was thinking of the last 2 nights in London, so that leaves us 5 nights between Scotland and London. What are you suggestions on where to stay and see on the way back? We like history stuff, military sites, Castles & Abbeys and sightseeing. I also love the sea. York is one place probably agenda. What are the best castles to see in lowlands or Northern England,

Also, where is their an easier place to leave a rental car without going to Heathrow, or leave it somewhere and take the train a short distance to London.

Any suggestions would be appreicated. (DH is no help)

Thank you,
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Depending on the route you take back from Scotland, you're best leaving it at an airport: Heathrow if you're coming back on the M6/M40, Luton on the M1 or Stansted if you detour east toward Cambridge and/or Stamford. All have railway stations with frequent trains into London, and are virtually on the motorway.

No other location within 80 miles north of London is as convenient to trains and motorways.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>their an easier place to leave a rental car without going to Heathrow</i>" -- in a word - no.

W/ 5 nights though you don't have to drive all the way back to Londo9n. I'd think of 2 nights in the Scottish Borders, 1 night along the Wall, 2 nights in or near York). You can drop the car in York) and then the train to London. (or you could do 2 nights in the Borders, 2 along the Wall and 1 in York).

5 days isn't enough time to see the whole country - so I'd concentrate up north and then take a fast train down to London for your last 2 nights.

Between the Borders and Northumberland there are more castles/abbeys and scenic areas to fill 5 weeks let alone 5 days.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM

oh - my "no" was re a drop off place near London. Luton or York would be fine. In fact - you don't need a car IN York at all - so you could drop the car off when arriving in York and save another day's rental cost.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, it probably would be easier to leave the car in York and take the fast train back to London. I was really hoping to just stay in Scotland, but another time I guess.

janisj: Any suggestions on which town/area to stay in the Borders or Northumberland for 2 nights? I've been looking at brochures, guide books etc. but would like to hear from someone who has been there.

Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Just about anywhere in the Borders works - it is not a huge area so staying somewhere like Kelso or Melrose or Jedburgh (or Galashiels or just about anywhere) would place you in a convenient base to see everything from St Abbs Head to all the Border Abbeys to Abbotsford, to Floors Castle to Traquair house to several other great castles.

That is why I suggested 2 nights -- LOTS to see.

Then on your way south you could visit Lindesfarne (Holy Island) and Bamburgh and/or Alnwick castles (both are terrific) before heading inland to stay in/near Haltwhistle. That is about the mid point along the Wall so you could explore pretty much all of it in 2 days before heading south. Or maybe in Hexham - a bit farther east along the Wall but still a good base. Then it is a reasonable drive down to York the next morning.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

janisj: Thanks for the suggestions, I read your advice on other threads and it's always helpful.

One more thing if you don't mind. I have made reservations for London, Edinburgh & Callendar. Do you think we need to make reservations for the other places or could we wait and find something when we decide area to stay?
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM

You'll be fine - the following week is a Bank holiday and school half term - but you are traveling down the week before that so things will be pretty slow. Just about a perfect time to "wing it". Many places get slammed that next week but are often 1/2 full or less in the middle of May.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again!
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 01:43 AM

I just opened this, since I had previously thought that it was about the travel south, rather than about IN Scotland.

I'm a bit confused. Are you looking at 5 nights in Scotland then straight back to London, or 5 nights in Scotland then another 5 nights before you get back to London?
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM

"<i>We have 7 nights left before we fly out on 5-24-09.</i>" and "<i>that leaves us 5 nights between Scotland and London</i>"

I assumed they have 7 nights after leaving Callander. Since they want the last 2 nights in London, it would appear they have 5 nights to play w/

Sue78: If you want to spend the whole 5 days in southern Scotland - that is a definite option. But since you also mention wanting to see York, it means deciding on whether you want to drive through Northumberland and see Hadrian's wall etc. Or do you want to loop down into the Borders, then drop you car at either Edinburgh or possibly Newcastle, and then taking the train to York and then on to London. W/ 5 days/nights you do have time to see quite a bit of the Borders, Northumberland and the city of York. Probably not enough time to see much else in Yorkshire though.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Sheila: We are staying, so far,3 nights in London at the beginning & 5 nights in Scotland and then heading south from Callendar and we will have 5 nights (somewhere) and the last 2 nights in London,but we could just make it 1 last night in London.

Janisj: We don't have to see York, just a thought, but he wants to see Hadrians' Wall that's the only reason we were thinking of driving to York and back to London. But we could just loop back and drop the car off in Edinburgh,like you said. We just like the car to sightsee, not to spend days driving.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM

From Hadrian's Wall I'd either drop the car in Newcastle (or Carlisle if it is an option) or in York. I wouldn't personally backtrack to Edinburgh again.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:20 PM

Just picked this up- too much work to do it in the office; topping so I remember to do it tonight