Milan: rental car drop-off and hotel logistics

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be exploring Northern Italy in September and Milan will be our last destination.
Travelling with a toddler, so the plan is to see main sights and spend 2 nights maximum in the city.
Our flight back will be from Malpensa airport really early in the morning. Usually with such flight schedule we stay either at or near the airport to let the child sleep as long as possible.
Not sure if the similar approach would work for Milan sightseeing. Seems like it takes about 50 mins to the city. On the other hand - if we keep the car till the depature and stay in the city - we'll need to deal with city commute and hassle with drop-off procedure around 4am - what is definitely not desirable.
Was thinking about dropping car at the airport before getting to Milan, and then be more flexible with hotels, but also more dependent on cabs/trains/buses. Not sure how expensive/reliable such option would be, especially if we need to get to the airport by 5am..

Will appreciate any input/advice.

Thanks.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM

Suggest that you change your flight to a mid morning departure. My daughter flies to Milan every year and I get a mid day flight out for her. You might also consider Linate and make a connection in Paris or Frankfurt.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 12:59 AM

Unless you have experience returning a rental car at Malpensa (and know the lay of the land), I would not risk a first-time try the morning of a 7am flight. Italian service reps don't work quickly. If you're running late, it will be difficult to find someone who cares. It will be safer and more relaxing if you return the car the day before unless you are OK with a sleepless night.

The Malpensa Shuttle runs almost 24 hours, with almost a bus every 30 minutes. It is the easiest and most cost-effective way to get to and from Malpensa to Milan's Centrale train station. The ride takes almost 1 hour. Depending on where you will be staying, a car return could eat 4 hours out of your day. But the peace of mind and a decent night's sleep can be worth it.

Unfortunately, a taxi or car service will not be much quicker and it will be very expensive. I can afford $100 rides to the airport but, frankly, I don't enjoy wasting money when the shuttle works so well. If I'm burdened with a lot of luggage, then I hire a car service and charge it to someone else.

You can also check if it's possible to switch your rental return to Milano Centrale. That would save you time but force you to drive in the city center, which I usually don't recommend.

7am international flights out of Italy are a pain. I stopped accepting that itinerary years ago. Most tourists don't know that Italian service reps almost never show up at their counter until 1 hour before the first flight is scheduled to depart. You may be told to get to the airport 2 hrs. before but good luck finding an airline rep who is working at 5am. Miraculously, they do manage to get those flights out on time. Of course, everyone boards that first flight en masse. Not for me.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your input. Now have a good idea of what to expect.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:26 AM

Forget the city---drop at Malpensa the nite before and stay at Hotel First---with a good shuttle and a very good trattoria next door.
Old Jul 6th, 2011, 07:55 AM

Bob does offer another suggestion that is certainly less stressful. If you can live with not spending your last night in a famous, big city, then Bob's suggestion will save a lot of time and energy.

No matter how old I get, I cannot stay at airport hotels. I'd rather stay up all night and walk the streets of Milan, and sleep on the flight home, than end my stay in Italy at some airport hotel. For me, there is no greater buzz kill.

A travel agent booked a doctor friend, who is speaking soon at the AIDS conference in Rome, on a 7:30am flight out of FCO. He called me to ask for a hotel rec near the airport for his last night. I told him that I read about people who end their trips this way but I can't imagine doing it unless I'm on a 20-city press junket and convenience trumps the city experience. He paid more to change his flight to later (which is no longer non-stop) but he could afford to do that. Plus, he's traveling alone without renting a car.

When you travel with small children, a trip is no longer about your pleasure alone. Someone has to think of the driver, who has the pressure of navigating unknown territory with foreign signage. Someone has to think about the needs of the child. I'm a big fan of compromise when it shows consideration for loved ones. Safe and stress-free travel is the only way to travel for me.