Preliminary Itinerary? Londdon/Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning to fly to Great Britain in September. This is a preliminary itinerary--can someone(s) critique it, please? I've been to London several times but not for 20 years. I'd especially like the Scotland part of the trip critiqued. Thanks!

Day 1: Arrive London Gatwick early morning.
Day 1-5
Stay at either The Morgan Hotel in Bloomsbury or The Sumner Hotel near Marble Arch for 5 nights. During that time, do the London thing, day trips to Windsor and take a train to Salisbury. See the Cathedral there and do an inner access tour to Stonehenge in the evening. Return to London same night on train.

Day 6 train to Edinburgh--I'd prefer a day train.
Stay at Elm View B&B in Edinburgh for 3 nights.

Day 9 Rent car from Edinburgh airport in the morning and drive to Inverness. Stay one night at Avalon Bed and Breakfast. Visit Loch Ness, drive around a bit. Return to Edinburgh airport on Day 10 to fly back to the States.

Not sure whether I should add another night in Inverness and subtract one from Edinburgh--thus staying there only 2 nights? Or renting the car after 2 nights in Edinburgh and staying one night in Inverness and one night elseshere? (Suggestions for place to stay other night if so????)
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 04:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your Scotland part of the plan does fall apart a bit.

Inverness and Loch Ness are not the be all and end all of Scotland. But even if they were - you are driving all the way up and back and catching a transatlantic flight the next morning (?) or possibly early afternoon.

If it was me -- I'd fly to Inverness from London and collect a car there. Spend 2 nights in that general area (but not IN Inverness), then drive down to Edinburgh and turn in the car. Then spend the last 2 nights in Edinburgh car-less and w/i a short bus ride of EDI instead of having to drive the length of the country to catch your flight.

You really don't have enough time to faff about w/ driving up north and back again. So just drive one way and save almost a full day's travel time.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

How can one fly from London to Inverness? Is there a best airline. On Kayak.com, cheaper flights stop first in Edinburgh (around $200 per person). Thanks.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:02 PM

easyJet and FlyBE serve Inverness from Gatwick.

Or --- you could take a sleeper train from London to Inverness. You wouldn't lose any sight seeing time because it leaves London late at night and arrives at I'ness at 8:30 the next morning.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM

This is personal preference, but with five days in London (one of which will be spent getting over jet lag), I wouldn't do two day trips. London has so much to see itself. But that's a matter of your priorities.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM

I totally agree jent103. The Scotland part was more problematic so I didn't comment about that . . . but two major day trips during a 5 day will probably be too much. Though Windsor can (just barely) be done in a half day. That Salisbury/Stonehenge day will take ALL day and late into the night.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Another option--take train to Edinburgh, stay there, rent car, drive to Inverness and the highlands, and return to the US from Inverness. No real price difference.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM
yk

<i>take a train to Salisbury. See the Cathedral there and do an inner access tour to Stonehenge in the evening.</i>

Are you planning to book the Stone Circle Access tour directly with English Heritage?
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.878

Have you thought about how you're getting to Stonehenge after hours from Salisbury, and how are you getting back to Salisbury? Will you be renting a car? Or taking a taxi?

These are logistical problems in case you haven't thought of it.

BTW, I also agree 2 day trips out of 5 days in London is a lot. I'd stick with one day trip only.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

We'll take a tour out of Salisbury.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS on train from London to Inverness sleeper for husband and wife??? How do I book this?? I like this idea, then renting a car to Edinburgh and flying home from there.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 03:13 AM

You can't fly direct from Inverness to America, so that won't work.

You can book your sleeper tickets here.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/caledoniansleeper/index.html
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll take the sleeper to Inverness, drive down to Edinburgh and lose the car. Also restrict ourselves to the Salisbury day trip.

One more question--Someone said not to stay in Inverness? Why? Any recommended alternatives nearby?
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 05:26 AM

On your way back to Edinburgh there is a lovely castle (the family home of The Queen Mother) called Glamis Castle. We chanced on it by accident and it was just a really fun thing place to tour.

And just before you come to the Firth of Forth bridge there is a really lovely aquarium that is so worth a visit.

So if you're looking for a break in your drive those two things are worth stopping for.
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 05:40 AM

Just fyi.

Glamis Castle
http://www.glamis-castle.co.uk/

Deep Sea World
http://www.deepseaworld.com/
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

OK--I think maybe we'll try this!!
Arrive in London early September 12th. 5 days in London.

Sleeper to Inverness arriving early morning the 17th. Rent a car. Leisurely drive to Isle of Skye and stay there night of 17th--supposed to be 2 hour drive direct. So no hurry and stop to see sights on the way.

Drive to Edinburgh on the 18th sight seeing on the way. Turn in the car and stay in Edinburgh nights of the 18th, 19th, 20th and fly home on the 21st.

This leaves 5 days in London, 1 night on train, 1 night in Isle of Skye, and 3 nights in Edinburgh.

Or should we go 2 nights in Edinburgh and one more night in Isle of Skye or elsewhere? Suggestions? Thanks!!! This is slowly getting refined...
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM

Sorry Timlin, I wasn't that impressed with Deep Sea World (unless maybe you had small children). With such a short amount of time, I wouldn't visit this.

But I whole heartedly agree on a stop at Glamis Castle. (my favorite).
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM

Now you want to add Skye?? You are trying to cover too much territory in too little time.

Inverness to Skye to Edinburgh in 2 days is - well not madness exactly, but definitely not recommended.

Count on averaging about 35 - 40 mph max - on that entire route. There will be places you get all the way up to 50 mph - then you round a bend and have to stop because there are sheep, or cattle or road works or whatever, in the road