Do Scotland or not?

May 3rd, 2003, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Do Scotland or not?

My wife and I are going to be on vacation in London for 7 days in late June. I would like to also see some of Scotland during those seven days. It seems the cheapest way would be to buy a Britrail 4 day consecutive pass for $189 and use it to stay in Edinburgh a night and to travel to a few other places around there. The other option would be to buy a point-to-point ticket for $170 and then catch some tours leaving from Edinburgh. Or should I just see more of England and leave Scotland for another trip? Any thoughts...
May 3rd, 2003, 03:15 PM

How about arriving in LONDON and departing from Glasgow. If you must return to london consider flyiing to Glasgow Prestwick on Ryanair. The cost is about 26 gbp per person return(round trip) from Stansted. You would spend a few hours in the airport and miss the countryside you would see from the train. I couldn't take the train without stopping in York. With only 7 days you might consider skipping Scotland and returning in the future flying direct to Glasgow. Have a nice trip. GG
May 4th, 2003, 12:01 PM

I will always encourage people to come here; but not for one day out of a 7 day London-based trip.

Come back and enjoy the place another time
May 4th, 2003, 01:19 PM
dlg

I agree with Shelia, it is deserving of more time. Edinburgh, Glasgow, and the Highlands are all so different you would want time to experience more. It is a long trip from EDI to London, even if flying. From the Luton or Stansted airports there is addtional transport time into London.
May 4th, 2003, 02:02 PM

With only 7 days, you cannot "do" Scotland even if you spent all your 7 days there. I would just concentrate on London and come back to see Scotland another time. It will still be there.
May 5th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Sylvia

I agree. Come back and "do" Scotland another time. I live in Chester and was in a shop when a group of sweet elderly Americans came in to buy their bottled water. They announced that they were off to "do" Ireland that day and if there was time they hoped to "do" Wales on the way back. You had to admire their stamina but when they'd gone we calculated that they'd be lucky if they got as much as three hours in Dublin before they'd have to return. Still, they would have seen some pleasant scenery on the way.