Scotland

Apr 9th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Scotland

Hi,
We are planning to do a London Scotland 10 day trip with kids (4yrs & 7 yrs) last week of May.Will be landing in London and spend the first 4-5 days there.
Seeking advice on planning a 5 day trip from London to Scotland which could be scenic as well as fun for kids.
1.What is better-Road trip from London to Scotland or Rail/Air (understanding we have kids with us)
2.Which are the must go to places in Scotland & how we can plan it in our route
3.Good Hotels/ AirBnB to stay.

Thanks!

Last edited by shruti2802; Apr 9th, 2018 at 10:05 PM. Reason: missing content
Apr 9th, 2018, 10:12 PM

OK -- a little confusing. Your title says 'Scotland' but your posts seems only to ask re a 5 day itinerary between London and Scotland. So what exactly are you looking for?

If your whole trip is just 10 days on the ground (meaning a 12 day trip in total) you don't have a lot of time to for London, Scotland, and the bits in between. Also - if you are traveling this May I would think your plans would be a bit more firmed up by now. You say you are spending the first '4 or 5 days' in London. Have you booked your London hotel? If so, is it 4 days or 5?

AND after you get up to Scotland -- where are you flying home from? Edinburgh, Glasgow, or back down in London? That would make a huge difference.

Fill in some of the details and we can help more.
Apr 10th, 2018, 07:35 AM

If wanting to go straight London-Edinburgh take the train but if want to meander up there for 4-5 days drive. Trains can be cheap however if book early enough to snatch discounted tickets - maybe do that and stay in Edinburgh as a base and take day trips via guided tours to say the Highlands - you have little time to really go around Scotland but Edinburgh is a fine fine city as a great base. For train info - National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables - www.seat61.com has lots on booking own tickets - for lots on trains in general check also www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
May 14th, 2018, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Our trip to Scotland is for 5 days.So We land in Edinburg from London first week of June And move to Skye the next day(its 5-6 hrs) taking M9 route.

My Queries:

1. Do you think we can explore some places around Edinburg on Day 1(considering with kids & I believe morning flight)

2. What places can be covered on the way?(any interesting sights or places)

3. Any suggestion on AirBnB in Portree?

4. How many days should we stay in Portree(1or 2)?

5. What all can be explored in Portree & skye

Then we move from Skye to Inverness via Kyle of Lachalsh & Loch Ness (not sure if I understood correctly ).We stay there for 2 nights

My queries:

1. As it’s a 2.3 hr journey any interesting sights on way to visit?

2. Besides Distillery & Aviemore any other places we can visit in Inverness?

3. Any suggestions on AirBnB?

From Inverness we move to Edinburg via Great Glen, Fort William , Glencoe and Sterling. We stay in Edinburg for a night and fly back to London.

My queries:

1. Any good location we should definitely see on the way as well as in Edinburg?

2. Any suggestions on AirBnB?

Look forward to replies.

Rgds,
May 14th, 2018, 01:37 AM

I had never been in the U.K. before, so just subscribing to this thread sry
Jun 22nd, 2018, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

We had a great trip to Scotland with 3 nights in Inverness, 1 night in Plockton and 3 nights in Edinburgh.

We rented a car for a week and drove to all the locations.

In Inverness, our first day was worth spent in Cairngorms National Park and the next day in Moray Firth to watch dolphins (though we dint find any).

We drove from Inverness to Plocton via Kyle of Localsh which is very scenic.

Plockton is a small town in Isle of Skye and there are small cruises from there to watch seals which are excellent.

We decided to drive to Edinburgh from Plockton via Fort Williams which is a very scenic route.

At Edinburgh, besides exploring the main city, we visited a Blair Drummond wild life safari where kids had a blast watching all the wild animals closely.

We also visited cramond island though dint like it much.

Overall a fabulous trip.
Jun 22nd, 2018, 08:37 AM

Glad you had a good trip.

I am a little confused -- >>Plockton is a small town in Isle of Skye << -- Plockton is not on Skye

Cramond Ilsand is a strangely fascinating place but seems quite an odd choice for a first time visitor.

Search this Thread