Dordogne rental with 2 boys

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a reasonably priced rental in the Dordogne area, for 1 week this August. I've got 2 boys to keep busy. I apologize for asking for such general advice, but I'm having trouble getting started. What village or area would be the best location? And I'm also up in the air on whether to look for something more rural, with a pool, or something in a small village where I could feel comfortable allowing 11 & 13 year old boys the experience of walking to the bakery on their own. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Words of wisdom?
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 02:02 AM

Have a look at www.frenchcottages.com - they have two houses for rent in Monpazier in the Dordogne region.

We did not stay there, but the house we rented from this site in Uzes was brilliant.

The owners have chosen towns/villages that are bustling and not overpopulated with tourists.

Regards
Helen
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 03:48 AM

The Dordogne "experience" is all about staying in villages, so yes, look for a place within a 30-mile radius of Sarlat, preferably to the north, south, and west - from Montignac to Trémolat to Siorac - and you'll be fine. Yes, you want a pool in August, though there are public pools and you can swim at "beaches" in the Dordogne. Some towns to focus on include the ones named above as well as Le Bugue, St-Cyprien, Meyrals, Tamniès, St-Léon-sur-Vézère, St-Alvère............Check out the agency Simply Périgord, British-owned, based in Le Bugue. They have 75+ properties in the region and are very reliable.
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both! I found a few places that looked nice in Daglan -- is that too far from Sarlat?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:50 AM
ira

Hi BJ,

You can get driving times and directions at www.mappy.com and www.viamichelin.com.

From my trip notes:

Discovered Daglan, near Castelnaud, a very interesting old town with many half-timbered houses ....

Have a nice visit.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Daglan's just fine. I prefer to be north of the Dordogne, but Daglan is a good town and it's easy enough to get around from there. Good choice overall.