Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dordogne & Provence - still "pretty" after heat wave?

Aug 23rd, 2003, 02:23 PM
dwk
Original Poster

We've planned a driving trip through the Dordogne, Provence & the Riviera in the second half of September. When originally planned, I'd been visualizing views over green countryside, boat trips along the river, little hill towns with bright colored flowers all around, etc.

Does anyone know if, as a result of the heat wave, the countryside is now drab and burnt-looking, the Dordogne (around Sarlat) too low for boating, etc.?

I know there'd be lots of wonderful things to do and see anyhow, even if the area wasn't all picturesquely green and fertile-looking, but we do have flexibility as to when/whether we go, and it would seem a shame to go to what should be such a gorgeous part of the country at a time when it isn't what it could be.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide....
Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:20 PM

I don't know about right now, but I've been in Provence/Riviera in late September during a normal year and don't recall a lot of bright colored flowered even then. I think that is more for Spring/Summer in most places and there aren't that many flowers in Fall.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:25 PM
gb

We boated (canoe) down the Vezere (spelling?) in the Dordogne in June. It was low then, but not to low to canoe. However, it was quite a work out as the river moved very, very slow. More like paddling on a flat lake. Dordogne seemed pretty humid to me, so I expect it might still be fairly green.
Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:28 PM

The vineyards may not be as colorful because grape harvesting has already begun in many of them. The hot summer would not cause the flowers in town gardens and window boxes to die prematurely. On the basis of Christina's comment, however, it sounds like many towns don't bother to maintain these displays after the tourist season peaks.

Information about early grape harvests can be found by using the google News search function. Just go to google and click your mouse on the small box labelled "News". Then enter keywords like France, grape, harvest, etc.
Aug 25th, 2003, 07:50 AM

I am also wondering whether the Dordogne is too low for canoeing. Do they offer tours on motorized boats?