your opinions- Dordogne vs Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've started planning a trip to southern France again(yes, we fell in love with the region). Our original plan was to return to Provence and visit some of the places we missed on our HM (Arles, Cassis, the Luberon, Gorges du Verdon). However, I've been going through the threads on this board and have become very intrigued by the idea of going to Dordogne.

My question- given two weeks, why would you prefer one over the other? We'll be going around the last week in May/first week in June. I trust your opinions, just wanted to get your personal views on one vs. the other.

If it makes any difference--I do plan to go to Wales via Paris and London to visit friends before I return to NYC. Perhaps this may weigh upon my itinerary decisions....

thanks in advance
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:27 AM
ira

Hi lp,

If you rent a car, you can visit both the Dordogne and Provence in 2 weeks.

You might find my trip report useful:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34676645

Photos at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-pla2au

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:41 AM

I've been to Provence 4 times Dordogne just once. Whilte I enjoyed my trips to Provence, I found the Dordogne experience far more fulfilling, enjoyable, facinating. Simply loved it.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Provence and the Dordogne are two very different places. I think a lot depends on what type of geography grabs you. I'm partial to the rolling hills, deep river gorges, quiet hamlets, woody copses of the Dordogne. Provence is craggier, dryer, more luminous maybe. The Dordogne is "sweeter."

Don't get me wrong - I love them both, but it's the Dordogne that stole my heart.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:52 AM

I agree with Ira: Do both. They are very different. Both are incredible. If you've been to Provence already and are set on just hitting one place, I'd say Dordogne. It's just wonderful. Make sure you go to Sarlat on Saturday for the market!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:17 AM

I second the "have a car and see both". Personally, I might give just a bit more weight--a day or two--to Provence. I guess it also would depend on what month you're going. It sounds like traffic could be a problem if the lavender is in bloom.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM

My wife & I have vacationed for about 16 weeks in Provence, and 8 weeks in the Dordogne. We prefer Provence in the late spring because it screams "summer", and the Dordogne in fall because it is quite "cozy". We love them both equally. Food is more to my taste in the Dordogne. I think you will spend less money there. You will not be in Provence during lavender blooming.

If you have already visited Provence, stay about 5 days there seeing the things you missed earlier (how could you miss the Luberon??), and then the remainder of your time in the Dordogne.

BTW, the area between the two regions is also fantastic.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:19 AM

If you are going to split your time between the two, I recommend traveling from one to the other via the Gorges de l'Ardèche and the Gorges du Tarn (or vice versa) with a side trip to Le Puy-en-Velay.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I'll also vote to split your time, Arles to Cahors is only four hours by car, mappy.com for reference. If you've been to Provence, spend an extra day or two in Dordogne and Lot. Gorges du Verdon MAY be a bit far east, it's very slow roads out there but you can plan that out. If you plan on going back every year or two, spend the two weeks in Lot, Dordogne and further south like Carcasonne, and then go back to Provence on your next trip. Enjoy!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM

If you can hit some of the Languedoc region on the way from Provence to the Dordogne, see the Gordes du Tarn instead of the Gorges du Verdun - the former is more interesting, IMO. After the Gorges du Tarn, drive west on the Lot River, hitting St Geniez, St Come, Espalion, especially Estaing, Entraygues, the 3 star pilgrimage village of Conques, Figeac, St Cirq Lapopie, Pech Merle caves (reserve), and up to the Dordogne at Cahors. This route would require about 2 stops along the way. Perhaps 1 in the Gorges du Tarn at Ste Enimie and another at Conques.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Stu makes a good point regarding weather. It will be delightful in Provence at that time. But any place in France is delightful, oui??
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM

I've been to both locations, as well, and while Provence is magnificent, Dordogne was even better.

StCirq is exactly right when she says it depends on what you like in terms of geography. I'd add, consider what you like to do as well, and what periods of history appeal to you. I like Provence for the Roman antiquities (though there's much more); I enjoyed the Dordogne for middle ages history and castles, as well as the remains of early man. I love foie gras, and there's hardly a better place for that cuisine.

We also enjoyed the relative scarcity of American tourists.

We flew into Paris, took the train to Bordeaux, and spent a day on each end in the Bordeaux (St. Emilion) area. If you're interested in wine, you could venture in that direction during a trip to the Dordogne.

What a delightful choice!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your opinions everyone! Very helpful.

You've all made me even more excited about this trip.

Based on what you've written- if I can convince my husband, I'll probably opt for both regions (we'll definitely rent a car). I'll try to update you on final 'itinerary' when we get to that point.