Don Alfonso Restaurant-Naples area

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 10:01 AM
michele

Don Alfonso Restaurant-Naples area

Has anyone eaten here in the last year? Does it live up to its glorious reputation or is it riding on reputation only? NY TIMES article seemed to be sending mixed messages. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance. <BR> <BR>Michele, future diner?

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Mari

Don Alfonso's is located in S. Agata sui due Golfi, a picturesque little town on the Sorrentine Penninsula, near Massa Lubrense and about a 45 minute or so drive from Sorrento. We did not eat there while we were in Italy, so I can't comment on the quality of food or service. But if you would like a suggestion, I can recommend another restaurant in the area which was excellent. The name of it is Ristorante Riccardo di Francischiello at the Hotel Bellavista in Massa Lubrense. It was wonderful - fabulous food, friendly service and with beautiful views of the Bay and Capri. You can check it out at www.francischiello.it. There are several restaurants in the area with this name, so be sure it is the one connected with the hotel. Enjoy your trip!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:29 AM
hamlet

I haven't eaten there, but we tried to make a reservation once before heading over and they were completely booked. While you decide to go or not, you may just want to make your reservation if you haven't already. <BR> <BR>Don Alfonso 1890 is actually only a 10-15 car ride from Sorrento (or longer if you take the turns even slower). It's located in Sant'Agata, which is part of Massa Lubrense. <BR> <BR>If you have any other questions about the area or other restaurants, please feel free to write me directly. I've been over a few times as my signif other is from there.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 08:55 AM
m kane

Hamlet, <BR> <BR>I had tried previously to get info on visiting Il Deserto in Sant' Agata sui Due Golfi but didn't get much of a response. Since you're familiar with the area, do you have any experience with Il Deserto? Do you know the hours it's open in late April? Do they adhere to the scheduled hours so that I can be certain of gaining admittance if I arrive within the specified time frame? Where do I get the bus in Sorrento that goes near there? What will the bus say as its destination, or does it have a number? Thanks. <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Lori

My husband and I had dinner at Don Alfonso in late May. Unfortunately, I was unimpressed. The restaurant was filled with tourists only (mainly American and Japanese). I was extremely disappointed in the quality of the food. Probably my least favorite restaurant that I ate at in Italy. We made the mistake of ordering a tasting menu--it might have been different if we ordered a la carte. I was also unimpressed with the advice that we received from their sommelier. But, their Maitre d' was wonderful--he must speak 10 different languages. Overall, I think that its resting on its laurels.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Dean

We just returned from a too short stay in Sorrento where we had one of the greatest seafood meals of our lives at La Vela Bianca. They have a van to drive you down and back up to the town. They are on the water in Marina Piccola. We spent $200 for a meal for 4 people eating extravagantly. They ahve an amazing selection of marinati and antipasti on display as you walk in. Then when seated tehy wheel over a cart with the fish of the day. All the fish is local, and freshly caught thatt day. Our spiny lobster was still alive and snapping until they cooked it into a pasta for 4. The whole fish included a scorpion fish and a silver snapper that were both superb. We also had clams and garlic that were a highlight. <BR> <BR>The wine list has lots of great local wines. If you want to be thought of by the staff as a long lost family member, just order a bottle of the Ischia Bainco... it is from the isle of Ischia wihich is in the bay off the coast of Sorrento. <BR> <BR>While Don alfonso is highly reputed, we will go back to La Vela Bianca on our next visit.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:45 AM
michele

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. Lori, you've confirmed my suspicions. Mari and Dean, I'm saving your suggestions for the trip. Hamlet, any advice is appreciated--you can email me at home. <BR> <BR>M.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 07:27 AM
joedy

Hello! <BR>I live in Naples (but I am from texas). I would also like to recommend O Parrucciano (la Favorita) on Via Italia in Sorrento. When you walk in in looks like a small place, but after you go up the steps you find yourself in a huge garden covered by orange and lemon trees and grapevines. the food is great and reasonably priced and while the wine list is extensive, you should try the house wine first...it's delicious! If you have any other questions about the area, feel free to email me! Ciao!

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Mari

Hello, Joedy, we haven't heard from you in a long time. Hope all is well with you. <BR>We ate at O'Parruchiano on our last evening in Sorrento. It was a very large, but attractive restaurant with a garden atmosphere. On the evening we went, a Sunday, a large group of tourists (about 150 or so) were brought in for dinner and they ran out of many items on the menu. The shrimp I ordered was dry, not nearly as delicious as the same preparation I ordered at the Ristorante Riccardo di Francischiello which I mentioned above. The service was nothing special. Overall, however, I enjoyed my meal but my husband and son did not. Glad you had a better experience, Joedy!

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Curious

Wow - I do love these postings where everyone answers the question !

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 06:58 AM
hamlet

I have no personal experience with Il Deserto, but if I find out any info when I get home I will post again. As far as the bus goes, you can take the local bus from Sorrento (from the bus station by the train station) to Sant'Agata and walk to Il Deserto from there. You can get bus schedule and info at www.massalubrense.it. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:19 AM
hamlet

Still no info on Il Deserto, but if you want to contact the Massa Lubrense tourist office, here's the info: phone 39-081-808-9856, fax 39-081-808-9571. <BR> <BR>I think the recent NY Times article that mentioned Don Alfonso also talked about Quattro Passi and Taverna del Capitano. I went to Quattro Passi a year ago and it was very good. The dining room was also lovely. Taverna del Capitano is also supposed to be excellent. If you visit any of these places, please report back on your experience. Thanks... <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 03:59 PM
mkp

I had lunch at Don Alfonso's May 2000. It was excellent, but the service was very formal and not particularly friendly.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:52 PM
morse

Hoping to get an update on Don Alfonso for an upcoming trip (in July). I heard it went from three Michelin stars to two, and I'm looking for any newer reviews...

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:12 PM
george

Me too--Is it worth going to Don Alfonso in Sant'Agata?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 10:06 PM
Vincenzo

My personal opinion is that Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi deserves a visit (at least one night) not depening on Don Alfonso.<BR>Sant'Agata is an hill hamlet of Massa Lubrense. As its name suggests it is between the two bays of Naples and Salerno. It's heaven and views from Sant'Agata and its Deserto are breathless.<BR>Never too hot and never too crowd also when Sorrento (twenty minutes by car) is the hell for warm weather and crowd.<BR>In Massa Lubrense, besides Don Alfonso there are other three restaurants very famous: Quattro Passi, Taverna del Capitano, Francischiello.<BR>Anyway, Sant'Agata is a place to don't miss.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:46 AM
Mike

Has anybody stayed at Don Alfonso? I read that they had two or three rooms attached.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 04:42 AM
Carmen

Actually, after winter works, rooms are 10.