Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does this VRBO Paris apartment seem to good to be true?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.vrbo.com/460769

I certainly would like to make an inquiry but there are no reviews. Please help with your comments. Thank you so much.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:31 AM

Yes, it must be a very new listing. Had I seen it I would have taken the chance and rented it myself!
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:45 AM

Lack of reviews may be because it has been recently remodeled.
Yes, it looks like a very nice place but, from the photos it appears to be more of an "inner" situation without a lot of windows. That would keep the price down a bit. Have you tried contacting the owner email?
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I just sent the request through VRBO. But, I will send the owner an email. Good thinking RogerM.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 07:02 AM

The apartment is on the first floor, but the living room has a skylight. That would imply a one or two-story building, unlikely in this neighborhood.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 07:09 AM

It's also listed on Homeaway (part of VRBO I think) - I googled the images which I always do to make sure an ad hasn't been hijacked but they don't appear anywhere else. I would proceed with caution and the owner would be well advised to add more information such as a verfiable phone number (another thing I look for)
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM

This is an attractive place but I would query whether or not there is any natural light other than the skylight and if there is any other emergency exit e.g. windows apart from the entrance.

"deserving a nice terrace to seat or eat outside." This seems a rather odd comment as I don't see any indication of a terrace or balcony. Maybe something lost in translation.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 08:10 AM

I just noticed they have another listing - seemingly in the same building, also on the First floor but with extensive skylights in the kitchen so maybe it's in a courtyard?

http://www.vrbo.com/460776

This picture shows a glimpse of what might be a door to a patio from the living room, assuming there are some stairs there? If I had been picking photos I would have shown the window wall!

http://imagesus.homeaway.ca/mda01/93...e69bcba6c1.1.9
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

The owner responded that when the photos were taken the terrace was not finished but that he will be posting additional photos no later than this Tuesday. You are correct Elizabeth, the windows appear to lead off to an inner courtyard. I will await the photos that will be posted and proceed with caution.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:06 AM

The low price could be due to the street. Restaurant Julien is up the street, therefore I know that it used, at least, to be an area where sex-workers were on show.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:23 AM

Elizabeth_S - can you explain how you google the image? I don't seem to be having much success with that (using Firefox if that matters)
Also, if you found the same property in homeaway what was the property #?
Thanks so much!

mrubio - it sure does look nice, but I share your concern about no reviews, and would want to know more specifics like the exact location rather than a general description. Especially in that part of town things can vary almost block to block.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Sex workers Tarquin?!? The owner just provided his phone number and has been quite congenial... I will google map the address as well. Thank you Seamus.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:38 AM

Seamus - I google the image a couple of ways

1) Go to Google Image (it's still in beta I think)

http://images.google.com/imghp?hl=en

Copy the image URL you want to search and paste it into the box - hit search. Sometimes this works right away, but not always (I think the URLs are sometimes too long). If that's the case then I go back to the image and copy it to my desktop as a JPEG then...

2) go to Google Images and click on the little camera icon on the right of the search box - that then permits you to upload an image which I do from my desktop - hit search

What I'm looking for is the same photo on different websites which can reveal someone has skimmed a legitimate website and is passing themselves off as the apartment owner.

It's not perfect but it's good when it works.

Also - and this is how I found the homeaway listing - I copy a distinct bit of the ad copy (in this case the title) and google it....usually I'm just doing that to see if the apartment is listed by several property managers and if there are lower rates to be found (and I have). Here's the homeaway listing for the same property

http://www.homeaway.ca/cottage-rental/p460769vb
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 01:04 PM

well, it doesn't look so great to me, so that's just personal taste that this is such a great place. I think it's ugly in terms of some of the general decor and art on the walls (like those letters in the living room and the old Marily Monroe stuff over the bed, which I hate -- red, white and black isn't exactly imaginative, either.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I saw the price as US $260 a night, and you think that is low? I think it's expensive, especially for that location, even thought it is a large apartment.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:30 PM

My regular Paris apartment rental had no reviews on it when I found it on www.homeaway.com
(same as VRBO) back in 2009. It had been newly renovated and was on the rental market for the first time. But, I went on e-mail with the owner and we were back and forth with each other for a while. I had a gut feeling that it would turn out fine and it did indeed. I couldn't have been happier. And all these years later, the owner and I are still on e-mail with each other even when I'm not on vacation in Paris. So, a lot has to do with gut feelings with me.

Happy Travels!
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
On the listing it says "purchased in 2013" so probably the reason for lack of any reviews. Personally, I don't like it, the decor, location, but everyone has different tastes.