Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do you recommend visiting the Greek Islands in June or September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2023, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to visit the Cyclades islands next year. Do you recommend visiting in June or September?
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was me, I'd aim for mid to late September. June will be hot but in our experience by October, the islands are winding down.
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 10:50 PM

If I had a choice (I’m a teacher and travel time is dictated by academic calendar), I’d go in mid to late September. It’ll still be warm and lovely, but I imagine much less crowded.
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 01:38 AM

Sea temperatures will be much warmer in September, while days are longer in June. I’ve been to the Greek Islands many times in both June and September, and still can’t decide which month is best. If you like being around young families with children pick June. If you like being around older empty nesters pick September.
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 05:09 AM

In early June, everything is green, there may still fall some rain and the sea water is much too cold for a swim.
In "normal" Cycladic Isalnds (except the tourist traps Mykonos and Santorini) the season begins slowly in mid June (more buses, more excursion boaats and other tourist stuff operating).
After mid Sepember, seawater is still warm, but the air gets slowly cooler and the first rains may appear.
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 06:41 AM

I've only been to Greece twice: once in April in the 1970's and in May last year. We were there from mid-May to end of May. We visited Santorini, Naxos, Nafplio and Athens. There were some people in the water on Naxos, and we went in the water at Porto Heli on the Argolis Peninsula. There were only a few people there because the season hadn't really opened up yet but I don't remember that the seawater was cold. We also spent an afternoon at Arvanita Beach in Nafplio. In addition to lounging on the sunbeds, we did go in the water and it was comfortable. So just relating our experience to you. Take from it what you wish. I know the air temps were getting much warmer by the end of May so June should be warm to hot. We have friends who have been to Crete in September and they said it was comfortable for swimming i.e. air temps and water temps. May was beautiful with lots of greenery and wildflowers so I assume June would be the same? Would the Cyclades be browner in September?
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 08:18 AM

Have been both times (13 trips in all), and on balance, have found the earlier one better. Here are plusses & minuses:

SEPTEMBER - for swimmers, the sea is Divine, has had all summer to warm up. However, the Greek people may be coooling off by then; tho always hospitable, can be burned-out after Huge HIgh Season (2023 record-breaker for crowds AND heat) -- their minds now more on their own lives, kids back to school, trips to Athens etc, hotels/shops getting ready for off-season. After nearly 4 months no rain, foliage v. brown even in fertile islands... Another factor for me, days are shorter, Sundown 7:30 or so .. whereas I always feel you get "bonus time" in Greece May-June because each day it's light until 9,

MID-MAY - EARLY JUNE -- Rain's over but greenery still abundant, even lush in fertile isles, flowers everywhere, Greeks are painting boats & houses, brighteningi shops & cafes, happy for nice weather but not rushed yet, plenty of time to socialize. May Weather is ideal -- high 60s F in AM - 80s in afternoon, balmy evenings. Sea water "brisk" but v. swimmable after May 15. everything's open, not crowded .. These days, with global warming a grim reality, I'd tend to try for Mid-Late May as start time, rather than June (your Sept option seems to indiicate school schedules not a concern).
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 09:07 AM

I've only been once and went very beginning of October which was perfect. I really don't like hot weather and don't care all that much about swimming, though.. I was on a short cruise to several islands also and the Aegean can be windy in the summer (meltemi winds) and historically those have died down by end of September. I really wanted to avoid those. In fact, the cruise was rough enough that a lot of people were getting sick. I didn't because I took Dramamine and it worked like a charm. I've seen stats that say the sea temp is actually about the same in June versus September. I don't know latest on the winds issue due to climate change, if it has changed in pattern or what.

If you aren't on a boat I guess it doesn't matter as much. I was on a fairly small cruise ship.

https://realgreekexperiences.com/mel...-greek-islands

https://www.sailingissues.com/meltemi.html
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to reply. There's some really helpful information in these responses!